Maybe a sick Rosy Barb

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bdolben

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all,
I have what is hopefully a non-issue, but maybe someone with expertise can help me out. I've got a school of 5 rosy barbs in a 29G tank. Four of them are fairly typical - having way too much fun with anything they find. But lately the fifth one has taken to sitting in the corner, almost moping. He doesn't get picked on, and he'll come to food, but he's not acting like a barb. Another observation is that his mouth is always open and he has little red spots on his upper lip. Can't tell if those spots are on the others.

Any ideas?

Did you recently get the fish? I agree with your thinking that something is not right. It should be schooling with the others.

Do you have a water test kit? If so, test it and post the readings here.

Definately your parameters will help a lot. To be safe you could always do a water change in case it is water related.

From the Jungle 5-N-1 Test Strip:
NO3 - 20ppm
NO2 - 0
Hardness (GH) - 150ppm
Alkalinity (KH) - 80ppm
pH - 7.2

Temp - 78deg

Barbs have been around for about a month, didn't quarantine them. Part of a community of:
5 rosy barbs
2 Bolivian rams
2 feathertail synos
1 upside-down cat
1 Asian upside-down cat
1 red-eyed tetra
1 redtail shark

Update: his upper lip is completely gone. I really could use some advice. Should I put him down? I have him in a frye net, seperated from everyone else, but sharing the same water.

Devilishturtles said:
Treat with Melafix. Any chance you can put him in his own QT tank?

Do not have a spare tank. I can put him in a bucket - that's about it, tho.

Back
Top Bottom