Maybe sick? Hanging out in top corner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gimmethatfish

Aquarium Advice Activist
[FONT=&quot]Hi -

I may or may not have a sick fish problem. I recently upgraded tanks from a 10G to a 54G. I have 2 glofish and 1 leopard danio along with 2 golden apple snails. I have had all of these guys for about 3 months now. No illnesses previously. I do have a sick betta (totally different tank, these fish have never even been in the same building), so maybe I'm just being overly cautious.

One of the glofish (Red) seems to be hanging out often in one of the upper corners of the tank. He doesn't stay there all the time, but he tends to gravitate back to that spot. The other fish will go hang out there with him often, but they don't seem to stay there as much as Red does. Red is the largest of the 3, and he is usually kind of the bully of the team. I have observed no discoloration, gasping, trouble swimming, etc. from any of the fish. Red is also not right at the surface of the water, but he hovers an inch or two below. I *just* moved the fish over this weekend. I will be getting at least 3 more glofish/danois for a proper school, but I wanted to wait and be sure everyone was settled in the new tank.

I don't know if it's just stress from the big move, if he's sick, if it's some other thing I haven't thought of. The current from the filter in the larger tank is much stronger and more widespread, but the fish have always all loved to swim through the current in the old tank. But maybe that's freaking him out? I can adjust the flow on the filter somewhat. I am new to fishkeeping and haven't had a sick fish before now, so I don't know what to watch for even. Could they just be freaking out about all the new space and the lack of a proper amount for a school is now getting to Red - the lack of pals is more noticeable in the much larger tank? These fish have all shown themselves to be very hardy and also not at all skittish or afraid of anything. When I did water changes in the smaller tank, they all clustered excitedly around the gravel tube. They will eat flakes right out of my fingers. They are very curious and unflappable usually.

Stats:
--Glofish affected. Hanging out near top corner.
--Ammonia 0, nitrites 0, nitrates 0, pH 7.4, medium hardness, temp 74.
--Large tank has been running for a week, fish have been in for 3 days. Tank was cycled using established media and gravel from LFS and smaller cycled tank as well as Dr. Tim's One and Only.
--Have a Magnum 350 canister filter with filter floss, coarse sponge, and Eheim lava rock filter media. 350gph.
--3 fish and 2 snails. Red is the largest fish, maybe an inch long? Other 2 fish are very slightly smaller than him but not much. One snail is about the size of a large grape, the other one is bigger than that one by about half.
--I changed 50% of the water when I noticed the fish being weird, even though all the parameters were fine. I also did another 50% change last night because water change seems to be the cure-all, and I didn't fish-in cycle these poor things in a 5G tank and change the water 2 times a day every day for 3 months just to have them die in 54 gallons!!
--Have had the fish since Christmas.
--The substrate, background, filter, and tank are all new (tank and filter bought used but cleaned thoroughly). I transferred some of the decor from the old tank. There are also several new live plants in the tank which were quarantined for 2 weeks to check for snail eggs. I'm using water from the same tap, same dechlorinator (Prime).
--No new food. I feed them color enhancing tropical fish flakes and freeze dried blood worms.[/FONT]

An update. One of the snails is dead. I came home from work and found it half spewed out of its shell and not moving. I put my little girl to bed and came back out and it had moved slightly. So I picked it up in a net (didn't take it out of the water) to observe and it didn't move at all. Didn't pull back into its shell. It's definitely dead.

The fish are still acting weird, and 2 of them didn't eat when I fed them. There are still no obvious signs of any illness. Their color is good, no gasping, no marks or injuries. I did about a 70% water change just now in the hopes that it might do something, but when I tested the water before the change there was 0 ammonia, 0 nitrate, 0 nitrite, and pH was 7.4 as usual.

Does anyone have any ideas at all? This big tank was supposed to be a really nice new home and upgrade for these poor creatures, and now I'm afraid I've just killed all of them. And there's now a betta in their old tank, so I can't just throw them back in it. The fish are just hovering in the corner about 2 inches below the water's surface. The other snail seems okay but how do you really tell if a snail is ok? It's shell looks nice, and it's moving around. I just can't believe I spent 3 months doing twice daily 50% water changes to cycle their old tank and keep them safe from ammonia and now I'm just afraid every time I look at the tank that someone's going to be dead.

You seem to be going through a cycle again, if I read your post correctly it said u only used old decorations from the established tank? If this is true then you overloaded your bacteria with the whole new setup because most of the bacteria is in the filter media. Since u have no nitrates I think u may be going through a cycle again. Just keep the water clean and fresh and keep monitoring your parameters.

I used both established filter media and 2 large cups of gravel from a long established tank. A mini cycle definitely isn't out of the realm of possiblity, but there should be a decent colony of bacteria. I'll keep monitoring. I can certainly handle another cycle, especially in a larger tank that I won't have to change twice a day. I just don't want any more deaths :(

Okay somehow the snail that was dead came back to life. I thought everything was great. Then I woke up this morning, and the 2 glofish and the leopard danio are dead. Like for real dead, not fake dead like the snail lol.

Is there any way to tell what happened so I can prevent another problem? Any ideas I haven't thought of? I have been testing the water twice a day, and I've never had an ammonia spike. I even brought my second test kit (API Liquid freshwater master kits, both of them) from work and tested with that in case my kit was faulty, and I got the same results. NO ammonia or nitrites, a small amount of nitrates - below 5. PH stays at a constant 7.4.

The absolute only thing I can think of is maybe I forgot to dechlorinate the water one time when I was changing it? I am very vigilant about it, but maybe in my worry and panic I forgot. But I definitely couldn't have forgotten more than once, and isn't the danger from chlorine to the bacteria more than the fish? If the bacteria had all been killed off, there would be SOME ammonia even with only 5 little creatures in a 54 gallon tank. I actually also noticed yesterday that the tap water chlorine smell has been really strong lately, so I've been adding a little extra Prime but not enough that I'm overdosing or anything.

I scooped the snails out of the tank of death and put them in with my betta in a 10G tank this morning. Where do I go from here? I'm definitely going to do a 100% water change. I kind of wanted to re-aquascape anyway and add some new plants, so I will do that. But I have like post-traumatic stress about thinking of putting more fish in this tank. I also am going to get a new filter because the one I have is LOUD, so maybe I'll just do a completely new cycle and add in a basket of carbon during the cycle in case there's anything weird in the water? I don't really know what to do because I have no way to know for sure what happened.

I have been really really vigilant about not letting the ammonia reach even .25ppm even before I moved the fish to the larger tank. I was changing the water in the small tank up to twice a day. And from the tests, even if the tank was going through a cycle, none of the levels were off. I know logically that it wasn't the TANK that killed the fish, but right now I feel like I don't want to ever put anymore fish in it. Which is stupid. But at what point can I determine it's safe to do so?

Back
Top Bottom