Media in a "dirty" bucket to keep bacteria alive during antibiotics?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

allysonwonderland

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've never had to dose for a bacterial infection before but I'm pretty sure I have to now. I have a fully stocked (a bit overstocked actually) 56 gallon tank that has been running for over a year now and I'm terrified of killing all of the beneficial bacteria.

If I keep the filter media in a bucket of tank water and put fish food in to create ammonia, will that keep the bacteria alive? I have no idea what to do.

--------------------------------
Background info if you feel like reading.

Ammonia/nitrite 0. Nitrate 20. Ph 7.6. Peaceful community tank with a pearl gourami (my favorite), a few livebearers left, assorted small schooling fish, kuhlis, and 3 rams.

Changes to tank that all happened 14-20 days ago: Started New Life Spectrum anti-parasite food for white stringy poop (can't tell if it's gotten better). Replaced one of my two Marineland Penguin 200 filters with a Fluval Aquaclear 70. Got two new rams from a pet store I rarely go to and did not quarantine. This is the culprit, I suspect.

I've lost almost a third of my stock, not including the rams, with little to no symptoms beforehand, sometimes labored breathing the day before death. I wake up in the morning or come home from work and find dead fish, even hardy ones like the danios I've had since the tank started. I've been doing multiple PWC a week since it started. Today, though, finally a symptom, two tetras with what looks like fin rot. One of them has white filmy stuff in a half-inch circle around the base of his fin, too, and some redness on the same fin. Signs are pointing an internal bacteria possibly, as well as an external one I guess. I think dosing the whole tank is in order because I don't really have an accurate way of guessing who has the mystery illness and who doesn't. I put the two obviously ill tetras in my spare 2 gallon tank but I know that's not a great solution. I bought Tetracycline but am scared to use it until I know how to avoid a tank crash afterwards.

Can you get any different antibiotics? Tetracycline is more for treating gram positive infections whereas columnaris is gram negative. Gram + meds are also more likely to kill off your good bacteria.

I won't be much help with the medication aspect but I can assure you that media simply sitting in a bucket of tank water will be fine for a week or two, no problem.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hope this picture shows up. This is my poor diamond tetra.

Attachments

• IMG_20141028_140314.jpg
    IMG_20141028_140314.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 64
I would try to "feed" it while it's in the bucket with some ammonia and fish food, just to be safe.

I won't be much help with the medication aspect but I can assure you that media simply sitting in a bucket of tank water will be fine for a week or two, no problem.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Agreed - it'll be fine for quite a while.

I wouldn't remove all the media, but rather a small portion to be used to recolonize should you actually lose your BB.

I'm currently treating some gouramis with tetracycline. I've not removed any media (I have plenty to take from) so i shall see if I lose the BB or not.

Also, for the future, I recommend adding a sponge filter. If you get another disease that might cause problems with your BB, you can just move the whole sponge filter and leave your regular filter, so you'll still have enough biofiltration without the sponge filter but you'll also have enough BB on the sponge filter if the treatment kills ALL the BB in your tank.

You could use maracyn-2 but really with such a big tank 55 gallons your just dumping expensive antbiotics into a bottomless pit unless there is alot of fish in there. Or try Kanamycin + Furan Green combo, that sounds like it would work for your tank or a hospital tank.

If possible, I'd shift the worse ones to a QT. As much to get them out of the main tank with your remaining healthy fish as anything.

Melafix and pimafix are unlikely to help in a severe case like this. Erythromycin is for more gram positive bacterial infections and definitely likely to kill off some nitrifying bacteria. So I'd skip that one as well.

As above - medicated fish foods with kanamycin or maybe oxytetracycline plus nitrofurazone I would try. Triple sulpha would be another option.

Temperature I would reduce to 77F/25C. Salt you could try in the QT with the meds. I've found it useful but never had a cure just from it. Water changes around the meds dosing always useful.

Agreed - it'll be fine for quite a while.

I wouldn't remove all the media, but rather a small portion to be used to recolonize should you actually lose your BB.

I'm currently treating some gouramis with tetracycline. I've not removed any media (I have plenty to take from) so i shall see if I lose the BB or not.

This would be great if you could update us on this. From memory I noticed either a slight ammonia increase to 0.25 or no change at all using tetracycline. I used it for several weeks as at the time that was all I could get.

Back
Top Bottom