Medicating fish by Medicating Brine shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Apocalypse_Gold

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Lemme' ax youall a qeusshun (sorry I slipped into ebonics there). I have had moderate success with raising brine shrimp from cyst to adult, and I was wondering if it would be possible to adminster meds. to fish by medicating the water the bs are in. (that wasn't very good question form. Alex Trebek would have my head for that) I read that many internal infections cannot be effectively just by dosing the water and hoped that this would be a viable alternative. I've seen some things about mixing meds with dry food, but sometimes when sick fish aren't eating well, a fat juicy brine shrimp can be too much to resist.

Lemme' ax youall a qeusshun
I'm glad that didn't go on to long--I almost stopped reading!! :eek:
You can mix meds with frozen foods. I don't know if mixing meds in the water and having the brine shrimp "take it in" will work. I would also question if the meds would outright kill the BS.

Follow up question regarding bs. I live about 30 minutes from the Great Salt Lake and I was wondering if brine shrimp I harvested from the lake would carry parasites, diseases, or toxins. (Again a statement, not a question.) Would they be safe to feed to my fish? (That's better)

I would not introduce foods/fish/anything to an aquarium that is not for an aquarium. Rocks and substrate can be bleached and RINSED WELL if needed, but not live animals. I would be concerned will parasites, diseases, and toxins. Better safe than sorry :D
Your best bet is to hatch your own, or buy frozen adult brine shrimp.

but cant you freeze them? because that'll kill the stuff (i think)

ive never been able to get brine shrimp throughout the first 3 days but you can try using them as a starter thingy. i think you feed them yeast or dried milk. and maybe theyll have babies. and you can probally freeze the babies to get rid of the germs/disesases/parasites

Frozen (dead) brine shrimp are available at LFS and you can mix food into them. Brine shrimp need aeration, and salty water to hatch. As for feeding them, I'm not sure.

Back
Top Bottom