Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-02-2005, 11:05 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to cougargirl50
medicating fish here got a filter ??

Ok I have just found out at least one of my platy's has an internal parasite so I went and bought some medicine today and it says to take the filter/carbon out. I don't want to dry out my filter so if I take my bucket and add some aquarium water in it and sit my 2 filters in my bucket will they still be ok as far as my bacteria is concerned??
Till my medicine that I put in is in and my fish are treated??

thanks for your help.

9 different platy
1 dalmatian mollie
5 corys
2 yoyo loaches

(ALL MY PLATY ARE FEMALE)
https://www.geocities.com/cougargirl5...?1143336351708
cougargirl50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 11:22 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

im currently treating my platies for the same thing...but here they recommended me to get jungle's antiparasite food...i think i paid about 5 dollars (CAN) and i dont have to touch the filter....HTH...

4 lovely ottos
2 lady platies

5gal FW
dry

La vida es un tango, las solitarias mesetas en mi lejana patagonia y un mate con amigos.....
patagonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 11:34 AM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

One time when I used medicine in the tank, I took my filter out (the sponge part) and put it in a big baggie with tank water. I sprinkled some fish food in every day, in the hopes that it would decay a little and feed the bacteria. Don't feed too much, just about the amount that you would feed the fish. I did ammonia tests on the water in the baggie and the ammonia level was 0 for 6 days. On day 7, the baggie water had an ammonia reading of .25. I put the sponge back in the filter on day 7, did a water change, and kept testing the ammonia for a few days. Luckily I didn't get an ammonia spike in the tank! The bacteria on the filter was ok for 6 days in my case. So hopefully if your treatment time isn't longer than that, try what I did -- "feeding" the filter -- and you may not have any problems either.

An t-iasg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 02:40 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

The problem is not the filter itself, but rather if the filter has carbon in it. Carbon removes the medication from the water, rendering it useless. If your filter does not have carbon in it, the you can leave it. In fact, carbon is generally useless after about 2 weeks, so if you have carbon in your filter and it's more than 2 weeks old, you really don't need to worry about that, either. Most of the meds that I've ever used all say specifically that they won't harm your biological filter.
Old 06-03-2005, 05:58 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I agree with firestar. I wouldn't remove the filtration unless the medication you are using affects the biological filter. Does your medicine specify? You may want to let us know what medication it is so we can help you verify.

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of Liberty -JFK
fishyrican is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
filter

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com