Medication advice/suggestions general parasite and illness precautionary ?s

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chrissi

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Question 1) Not currently dealing with anything but I am looking to add a few new fish to my community tank and want to be prepared. In addition to this I have been adding plants so again, preparing.

I know the schpeel about clean water, proper stocking, and maintenance, I like to keep a stocked med cabinet JIC. Looking for advice on what works if I have to resort to meds not how to prevent illness by taking good care of my fish, I am good there.

Mardel has always been my go-to but as their line of medications is discontinued :-( looking for advice on other med brands such as API. That's my main question, unless your interested in deets about my current methods you can skip to question 2 at the bottom.

Info) QT is always done bare bottom, cycled sponge filters, and small cheap HOBs for utilizing carbon. All my plants are bought from a quality retailer with the exception of when I really need something they do not have, even then I do not bit plants from chain stores just a decent LFS. Typically with plants I do a tap water wash, alum 2 hour dip, and QT for 3-4 weeks treating with clout once a week first 3 weeks and coppersafe for a few hours before a final clean water week. I use fresh carbon to remove chemicals in addition to water changes between treatments. Like jotting an ant hill with an A-Bomb but since this QT is plants only I really am not that concerned with overkill and my plants have always come through healthy. So odds of anything from my plants is low. But new stock, new boat, can't just bomb em like plants. Typically I do a 2-4 week QT with salt and 80-82 degree temp, coppersafe if I see and signs of external parasites. I only use anti-biotic in QT if warranted. I have never seen a fungal infection or stocked fungal meds and never de-wormed for internal parasites.

Question 2) I did recently find out about cammelanus worms and freak myself out, seems this was a huge issue 2005-2009 then seems posts started to die down. Anyone encountering these buggers recently??? I did add fish to my tanks as well as set my aunt up with her first tank between Oct 2013 and Jan 2014 so those are the fish I am watching like a hawk.

Info) I buy most my stock from a quality store but in truth their quality has been diminishing from what they were 10 years ago. I have succumbed to purchasing fish from the 3 big P stores when I couldn't find what I wanted elsewhere. Won't be anymore now that I am freaked about internal worms.

I would recommend nt labs. They do every type of illness for tropical water fish that I know of. I have used it twice and both times with white spot and ulcers I have had no fish deaths. I fortunately have no experience with the worms you mentioned. Sorry I couldn't help with that.

Tomtom. Thanks for the input. Looks like NT labs is not available in the US. All the info I found on them is UK. I am hoping no one has issues with the worms so I quit totally freaking myself out lol. I am serious hesitant to purchase new stock now that I read about those evil little buggers!

Personally, I don't buy all my medication products by brand, but just by specific need. I am not too sold on all the products of any brand because they all seem to make a bunch of "snake oil" type products in addition to those I find to be actually helpful. I should also add that I really don't keep thing like antibiotics on hand. I have had to use them so little over the years, that I don't like to spend the money on them if they just going to sit since many common diseases can be fixed with clean water and maybe salt. That said, if you are wanting a medicine cabinet, I would suggest API's furan 2 as a broadspectrum antibiotic to keep on hand. Also, keep salt on hand. Jungle brand also makes some antiparasite food that is nice enough stuff and more affordable than many other options. Some people keep dog dewormer on hand too.
If you are looking for more specific ideas, let us know! You also might get some more suggestions from other people who have had to medicate more fish than me. :)

Tomtom. Thanks for the input. Looks like NT labs is not available in the US. All the info I found on them is UK. I am hoping no one has issues with the worms so I quit totally freaking myself out lol. I am serious hesitant to purchase new stock now that I read about those evil little buggers!

I have honestly never heard of anybody I know having an issue with those worms, and you can treat fish with dewormer if an issue ever arose, so I don't think they are something to be terrified of.

Mardel never did wrong by me for what I had use for, never had a need to consider others. I have trouble trusting API when they also sell products like melafix and primafix because I thing these are just junk (and tea tree oil will kill my gourami). I like stress coat and their salt though.

I always keep salt around, it's a staple.

I think parasite meds to replace coppersafe would be my main focus for suggestions. It's never failed me on new stock showing ich, only time I ever lost fish is when I tried salt and heat verses coppersafe. I have seen too much research on heat and salt tolerant strains to trust that method like I used to. And I am not a fan of Malachite Green. Really would prefer a copper sulfate that someone has had success with.

I have had use for antibiotics on my display fish for a severe injury from a heater malfunction and septicemia following having to cycle a fully stocked tank after a long distance move but those were rare instances so I never keep more than enough on hand to treat QT if a parasitic infection results in secondary bacterial problems, so far I've only encountered an infection that bad once before I knew to be prepared for ich. I looked at the triple sulfa from API, I'll look at Furan as well.

I've seen mixed reviews on safeguard dog de-wormer but it's readily available so think I am good on getting that only if needed. Seems to be effective as long as fish are still eating on nematodes. Just hope I never deal because seems a real pain to get rid of.

The jungle food seems to be discontinued, at least in US. My fish seem to be healthy poopers so I've never picked any up when it was around. I don't really buy into the garlic thing but I feed NLS as my dry choice and let that be my internal parasite control. Don't completely believe it helps but it doesn't hurt and they like that food. I think a few of my frozen foods have garlic in them as well. Remember seeing it listed in at least one of the ingredients.

Seachem Cupramine is a newer type of copper treatment.

From their website:

Cupramine™ effectively eradicates Oodinium, Cryptocaryon, Amyloodinium, Ichthyophthirius, and other ectoparasites of both freshwater and marine fish. It is superior to copper sulfate, chloride & citrate: it is non-acidic, less toxic to fish, remains in solution, and does not contaminate the filter bed. It is superior to chelates: it is fully charged (ionic), active at low concentrations, and is removable with carbon.

It's not safe for inverts as with every other copper treatment. I have not used it as of yet, but I plan on getting a bottle and using it in my QT tank for new additions.

There are only a couple non-copper non-malachite green parasitic treatments I know of. There is Prazipro (for flukes and worms ONLY), and Acriflavine for protozoan parasites (may stain).

Thanks Anibis. Good information. I may try the cupparine, seachems prime has become a staple for me after it saved my butt getting my tank cycled again after the move. A 6 inch gourami in a 10 gallon and 6 phantom tetras, 21 Coryadoras, and 5 danios in a 32 gallon awaiting their tanks to arrive. Ugh, nightmare. Still had to do constant water changes but stress on fish stopped immediately after I started using Prime and I did not lose anymore fish after either. I trust their product line, good to know they have a copper option. May have to look at the Pazipro again, coppersafe treated flukes and I've never encountered them in established tanks but good to know there is a fluke option out there if I need it. I believe it treats hexmita as well but could be wrong. Have not dealt with hexmita as of yet so hopefully a non issue. The A one I never spell right I've heard is a bit harsh, so I've stayed away from it.

Mardel never did wrong by me for what I had use for, never had a need to consider others. I have trouble trusting API when they also sell products like melafix and primafix because I thing these are just junk (and tea tree oil will kill my gourami). I like stress coat and their salt though.

I always keep salt around, it's a staple.

I think parasite meds to replace coppersafe would be my main focus for suggestions. It's never failed me on new stock showing ich, only time I ever lost fish is when I tried salt and heat verses coppersafe. I have seen too much research on heat and salt tolerant strains to trust that method like I used to. And I am not a fan of Malachite Green. Really would prefer a copper sulfate that someone has had success with.

I have had use for antibiotics on my display fish for a severe injury from a heater malfunction and septicemia following having to cycle a fully stocked tank after a long distance move but those were rare instances so I never keep more than enough on hand to treat QT if a parasitic infection results in secondary bacterial problems, so far I've only encountered an infection that bad once before I knew to be prepared for ich. I looked at the triple sulfa from API, I'll look at Furan as well.

I've seen mixed reviews on safeguard dog de-wormer but it's readily available so think I am good on getting that only if needed. Seems to be effective as long as fish are still eating on nematodes. Just hope I never deal because seems a real pain to get rid of.

The jungle food seems to be discontinued, at least in US. My fish seem to be healthy poopers so I've never picked any up when it was around. I don't really buy into the garlic thing but I feed NLS as my dry choice and let that be my internal parasite control. Don't completely believe it helps but it doesn't hurt and they like that food. I think a few of my frozen foods have garlic in them as well. Remember seeing it listed in at least one of the ingredients.

I totally understand. I avoid things like melafix for the most part. That is why I have never really found a line that is entirely reliable, because most seem to have similar products. Furan 2 in specific I know is a good product though.
Apologies about the jungle brand food. I have gotten that stuff at Walmart for years, I was unaware that the manufacturer had discontinued it.
I have can't help more with the copper. I have always had inverts, so no copper treatments in my tanks. I have used Kordon Ich Attack before with much success. It is more expensive than some other things, and comparatively slow working. But, I have had success with that in cases where salt did not seem like a good option. That is one of the only things I keep on hand routinely.

I believe Kordon Ich Attack is what I used to use in my pond for disease resistance. I do not believe it was called ich attack back then but the same problem. It was a great preventative and did not harm plants, snails, frogs, or koi. But never looked at it for aquarium, thought it was a cold water product. Have too look at it again. I never treat my display with copper. I have 3 QTs for that. If I have to treat the display I just pull the snails to their own tank. I only keep a few Ramshorns, my Angelfish eat any babies so I only have a few adults.

Back
Top Bottom