Medication Combos

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jlbfish

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Is there a list of Meds that can be combined ?

I am specifically looking for an anti parasitic and antibiotic.

Thanks.
Jana

What exactly are you looking to treat? Metronizadole is a gram positive antibiotic but its also effective against some parasite issues/related infections. Its commonly combined with praziquantel (anti parasite med) in alot of parasite meds.

I'm not quite sure. I have some black neons that started to look splotchy around June 16th. I thought it might get better with water changes but it didn't. I moved them to ISO about a week ago and treated with a Jungle Fungus Clear. Since being in ISO whatever they have has gotten worse and turned to what looks like Columnaris or a white lump on their body I can't tell if it is fuzzy. It isn't ICH.

I wasn't sure if a parasite could be causing the secondary infection.

A side note these are the same black neons that you helped me with a while back so there is the possibility I should just cull the lot. So I am debating one more med or giving up.

Jana

Oh no- I am sorry to hear this! It honestly sounds like columnaris coming back. I dont believe its a parasite issue. Whatever strain they have is a tough one & VERY antibiotic resistant. You can try the meth blue dips again or just treating the tank with meth blue (it will stain everything). The only other med available is the gentamycin (expensive) or asking an aquatic vet for stronger prescription antibiotics. Ok- just thought of one other med to try! You can give ciprofloxacin a try. Its sold as Fish-Flox or simply as ciprofloxacin. I have purchased it before off of ebay from the seller 'aquatic pharmacy' and its reasonably priced & ships quickly. This with meth blue baths as a last ditch effort- if it doesnt work, I unfortunately dont think you have any other option here but to seek a vet or cull them. :(

Hmmm how do you treat the tank with Methylene Blue?

I did the dips and that was difficult with all the fish. I am treating them in a 20 gallon with Jungle Fungus Clear (looks like it has methelyne blue) tomorrow is the day to stop tempted to just stop early.

I did not do salt yet but was thinking of going back to 1tsp per gallon again.

10 drops meth blue per gal or 1 tsp per 10g. If you do a wc, pretreat the water you are adding back per gal.

Think I can do that with the Jungle Fungus still in or wait?

Last time you said to do a .1% salt treatment (1tsp per gallon). Mumma said she has had tetras at full salt before and i read that columnaris can't live in salt. What is 'full salt'? (oops and there is one glo danio in ISO with them this time)

I read up on the Fish Flox. Looks like it is possible but they said

"Ciprofloxacin chelates divalent cations water hardness (increase dose for marine fish) and high divalent cations in diet. Its activity decreases with high pH (>6.9). It can be bacteriostatic or bactericidal depending on the effective concentration at the target site."

I am not sure what they mean by "divalent cations" etc... I will check that out BUT it decreases with high pH and ours is 8. With this being a resistant strain AND a high pH maybe I should just take my chances with mucho salt.

Ok, your ph will be an issue. The same thing happens with minocycline (higher the ph, less effective the med is). I dont keep tetras, so I trust Mumma's advice. Full salt 'typically' would be .3% (11.4grams/g or almost 3tsp/g) but some consider .5% or even as high as .9% to be full salt in fw fish. I would stick to .3% as general rule of thumb- you can always increase it if need be but I honestly would not go beyond .5%.

Hmmm ok. If it works maybe I will try maracyn/maracyn2 .3% salt for starters or maybe .1% and work up to .3% over time and methelyne if it can be used with the Maracyn combo. If that doesn't work it's more than past time to give up. Thanks!

Interesting. Ok maybe it will just up the salt add methelyne blue and go from there. I am sticking to upping to .1% over the next 48 hrs. Then I will start to up to .2%

Is it worth lowering the pH with pH Down or anything?

Thanks

No, because it will only further stress or even kill sick fish that are well adapted to your present ph.

Back
Top Bottom