Medications that stain

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

verucaproduce

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey all,
Can anyone tell me which medications stain and which do not? I am thinking specifically of Maracyn, Maracyn two, Maroxy, and Triple Sulfa and any sort of ich medication.
Do you know if they stain glass and acrylic tanks or is one better to use than the other?
I am looking to set up a hospital tank and I just wanted to know which would be the better choice.
Thanks!

Those antibiotics do not stain at all. The ones that stain contain methylene blue, usually, and include most of the ich medications. If you have a hospital tank you could treat ich with high temps and salt, and not have to use methylene blue.

AFAIK, they do not stain acrylic, but I would go with glass since it is a hospital tank - who cares about stains - and it is easier to sterilize a glass tank, at least for me, than it is acrylic, but I'm kindof old school, LOL.

Well that is good to know. I will have to pick up an extra 10 gallon glass tank as a hospital tank. Now just to figure out what I want to put in the five gallon acrylic. :p

That might look something like this...
pawshake2.jpg

She doesn't seem to enjoy it much...hehe

Back in March I used Ick Clear by Jungle and although it worked, it made everything blue for about a month. Now the edges of my glass tank are still tinged blue. I don't mind but if I'd known before, I wouldn't have used it.

Back
Top Bottom