Medicines

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wetfishies

Aquarium Advice Regular
Help & Advice

If you use a medicine to treat a sick fish but the fish is not sick, will this cause a issue?

We think my moms male beta might have fin rot or velvet.
Is there a medicine that treats multiple problems?

We noticed something new yesterday as well. blue has on each side of him a bump, its in the same range on each side. Is this normal for them to get as they get older or is this a bad thing?

My mom loves this fish to pieces it`s unbelievable & if anyone can help with there best knowledge it would be most appreciated.

His color is beautiful in certain lighting

GOOD.JPG

GOOD2.JPG

GOOD3.JPG

GOOD4.JPG

Last edited:
Doesn't really look like an illness on fins to me.
Possibly he is ripping his fins on by sharp plants/decos or maybe he is biting is own tail.
These are very common things^^ for bettas.
Fresh/clean , warm water would be the best med to start with IMO.
I can't see the bump so otherwise looks healthy.

I just added better photos, if you will go look and see if you have the same opinion. & I got a shot of the lump. Thank you :)

I thought that was the lump near tail.
Can't really say but look into tumors or lymphocystis for better ID.
Still on the ripped /bitten fins.

Have to agree. The bump appears to be an internal issue possibly from a worm or organ tumor. If it's a tumor, there's not much you can do for it. You can try medicines such as Kanamycin ( Kanaplex by Seachem) or maracyn 2 as these both deal with internal issues best, coupled with a product like API's General Cure. The first 2 meds deal with bacterial issues while the GC works on internal worms and parasites. Since you don't know exactly what you are dealing with, this would be a broad spectrum approach to try to heal the fish. No guarantees however since we don't know exactly what you are dealing with.
That all said, yes, medicating fish that are not sick for repeated periods can ( and usually does) create "superbugs" that become resistant to the medication. So if you are going to medicate, you need to follow the directions on the package and treat for the full term whether the fish appears fine or not midway through the treatment. It's the same as with we humans. ;)

Hope this helps (y)

Back
Top Bottom