Melafix

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I find melafix speeds up the healing process and acts like an anti septic to help prevent secondary bacterial infections to open wounds. It is mild and natural but won't cure diseases as such.

Sent from my Kestrel using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Nothing works better than good water quality to aid healing. Healthy fish should heal quickly from injuries with good water conditions

Sent from my Kestrel using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I feel like its snake oil. It may help a fish heal faster (help. Not heals them itself ) but if it were an effective antibiotic then it would not have zero impact on your good bacteria. I use it low dose with water changes when my fish get some rough edges to their fins and they seem to recover faster. But it bonds to the oxygen or so I've heard, and longterm can hurt their insides, or so I've read. Hence i only low dose it.

This post brought to you by.. ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD

What good would that do?

Could you take a picture? A video? Sounds like a pretty common type infection, maybe settin in after bullying or fighting and nipping.

A ten gallon tank is only $12 anywhere you go.

IF i had a fish get like this i would put it in a ten gallon tank and feed Terramycin antibiotic food and also put some methylene blue in the water each day for a week and it would clear up 99% of the time.

Um question where do u go to get tanks because 10 gallon tanks in my area are not even close to that price range lol ????

This has been a public service announcement published by fishtank3

Um question where do u go to get tanks because 10 gallon tanks in my area are not even close to that price range lol ????

This has been a public service announcement published by fishtank3

Every chain store in my area (Eastern TN) has them for around $14

Caleb

For the people recommending salt and heat vs. melafix: What would you recommend for treatment in a tank with a pleco and corydoras? I've read conflicting things; some people say any salt will be bad for them and some people said as long as you don't salt often and do low doses, it should be fine. I haven't really experimented with it yet so I was just curious.

For the people recommending salt and heat vs. melafix: What would you recommend for treatment in a tank with a pleco and corydoras? I've read conflicting things; some people say any salt will be bad for them and some people said as long as you don't salt often and do low doses, it should be fine. I haven't really experimented with it yet so I was just curious.

This may be of interest. My conclusion was its not what they are used to but can be done (probably slowly). Open to correction :)

On the other hand, heat to be careful of as well. The same high heat that will kill off ich will also speed up bacterial infections ime.

Thread below. It was basically just seeing what research and practical experience is out there.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/cories-and-salt-dosing-337268.html

Just read over the thread, thanks for going out and doing all that research! I had a really hard time too finding concrete info vs. people on a soap box stating opinions without and links or reasons to back it up. That was also interesting to hear that at low doses the salt wasn't affecting that guy's plants. I heard salt and live plants were a huge no no.

Just read over the thread, thanks for going out and doing all that research! I had a really hard time too finding concrete info vs. people on a soap box stating opinions without and links or reasons to back it up. That was also interesting to hear that at low doses the salt wasn't affecting that guy's plants. I heard salt and live plants were a huge no no.

That can vary per plant. Some can withstand some salt and some can't tolerate it at all.

Caleb

Sure. I haven't really gotten too much into the world of planted tanks yet. So far I am only working with very hardy plants. Java Fern, Java Moss, Abubias, Anacharis, and Banana Plants for now, and so far so good!

Glad you got some use out of it :)

My thread intro was a bit badly worded so good news it was helpful.

I do know my tap water is a little higher in salt than other areas around the city here. Still figuring out if that is good or bad. I guess fish in my area will already be used to some salt but then again maybe plants don't appreciate much more if I add more salt - not really sure.

I feel like its snake oil. It may help a fish heal faster (help. Not heals them itself ) but if it were an effective antibiotic then it would not have zero impact on your good bacteria. I use it low dose with water changes when my fish get some rough edges to their fins and they seem to recover faster. But it bonds to the oxygen or so I've heard, and longterm can hurt their insides, or so I've read. Hence i only low dose it.

Ever heard if its not broke, don't fix it? Never medicate with any medicine unless the fish need it, and then, use one that works. Melafix has a terrible track record at healing anything, let alone a serious infection. By using melafix and or primifix all the time your probably doing more harm than good. GIve your fish a break, don't keep the tank water a chemical waste dump all the time.

No no you misunderstood. I use it, when doing water changes only, WHEN my goldfish have some small damage to fins. As in, i don't use it much at all. But when i do, i also only use it during a water change, instead of its instructions to keep it in the water for 5 to 7 days. Any time i followed those directions, absolutely more harm than good. But if 6 months down the line one or more of my goldfish gets a rip on the fin, i find a tiny amount during the water change helps.

God no i don't trust that stuff enough to keep it in my tank lol

Back
Top Bottom