Melafix on bettas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I believe you must dilute it, but not sure how much. There is a product called Bettafix--melafix, but for bettas.

BettaFix and MelaFix contain the same exact ingredient (Melaleuca extract).
The only difference between them is that Bettafix is 5X less concentrated than Melafix - to facilitate dosing the impossibly small containers that most people keep their bettas in.

Melafix contains 1% Melaleuca; recommended dose for Melafix is 1 tsp/10 gal
Bettafix contains 0.2% Melaleuca;recommended dose for Bettafix is 1/2 tsp/gal (or 5 tsp/10 gal).

:!: Do the math, and you'll see that both remedies are used at the same final concentration! :!:

BOTTOM LINE: If you want to save money, buy Melafix and dilute it - 1 part Melafix plus 4 parts water.
If you keep your betta in a 5 gal or larger tank, just use Melafix at the recommended dose of 1 tsp/10 gal.

There have been odd losses connected to melafix,
I wonder what it DOES to the bettas...

Some of longer established Betta breeders and specie breeders suggest using neither to use another product since there are so many..and as twice as many small sites say "dose away".

My daughter decided not to try to figure why and err to the side of caution and use almond leaf. It definitely makes the bettas that have it look much better colored and is letting fins heal with little color loss.

I have read other people's experience - both good and bad - using Melafix or Bettafix with bettas. From what I gather, it is thought to irritate the lining of the labrynth organ in susceptible fish. The affected betta will become extremely agitated and dart about angrily, flaring often. Again, this has not been reported to happen all the time. Some people have no problems - go figure. Maybe some individual bettas are more sensitive to the med and have a bad reaction to it?

Christmasfish, how do you use almond leaf? Is it a commercially available preparation or something that you concoct yourself?

I've had wonderful luck with Bettamax. I've used it twice in the past with seriously nipped fins, and it's worked great!

I don't medicate my bettas, unless its something really serious. I just don't beleive you should pay all that money when most diseases can be treated and prevented by clean water. Your bettas fins get nipped, oh well no big deal. Its not like your taking him in any shows or trynig to sell him, and if you are then it can be a big deal :wink:
I also use Almond leaves, and combind with clean water bettas fins heal right before your eyes! :wink:

JMO
ashley

Back
Top Bottom