Methylene Blue in main aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bauerfish

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I used methylene blue in my main aquarium under the advice of a guy at the aquarium store to fight off what I think is a bacteria infection. It all started with a major water change...then an algae bloom...then used a algae treatment and all seemed fine. But the filter was fairly clogged with algae also and eventually was blocking the water from going through the filter/charcoal and going directly back into the tank. I'm not sure how long this was occurring, but it must have affected the water quality and allowed this infection to set in. So now the water is blue due to the Meth blue added and I am sure that this will destroy the biological filter. Any suggestions of how to proceed from here. This is a tank the I inherited from an office that was moving and I am fairly new to this, but learning... Any advice is welcome.
Thanks!

What symptoms are your fish exhibiting? What are your water parameters? (Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, ph...) Algae treatments can be very nasty for your tank. I would recommend some large water changes and fresh filter carbon to clear out the algae killer and the methylene blue.

Welcome to AA! In addition to your parameters what size tank and inhabitants? How long has the tank been set up?

The tank is a 35 gal hexagon and has been set up for a few years. We have had it for less than a year with no problems until now.

The inhabitants left(we lost lost four with this infection) are: 6" Pleco, 3 rainbows - (one large, 2 small), 2 small catfish, 5" bala shark, neon tetra.

The symptoms - fins looked tattered, white semi-fuzzy patches on larger rainbow, red gill area of goldfish that died, all that have died were at the top skimming for air. Bala was agitated. Since adding the meth blue- shark has calmed, rainbow is no longer at the water surface and dead fish this morning :)

The water is blue so we will have to change the water and put the charcoal filter back in to get our readings- ph, am, nit, ect.

Back
Top Bottom