Mickey mouse platy laying on side

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dnntau7

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello everyone! I have a Mickey Mouse platy and for about 4-5 days he (i think it's a boy) has been kind of tilted/laying on the bottom of the tank. He will swim every now and then but always ends up hiding in a corner laying down. While he's laying, he is still moving his fins and breathing normal. He also hasn't been eating. I tried peas, but he won't eat it either.
I've been fighting high ammonia for about 2 weeks (I have another thread on it) doing water changes, ammo-lock, adding live plants, etc. with no change, but his tank mates aren't showing any signs of problems (a molly and 2 danios).
Could this be a result of the ammonia? Or is there anything else I can do for him? :(

PH- between 7.2-7.6
Nitrate - 0
Nitrite - 0
Ammonia - 2.0
Temp - 76

Attachments

• IMG_3022.jpg
    IMG_3022.jpg
    221.3 KB · Views: 38
Is your tank cycled? How big is the tank? What is your weekly water change schedule?

It wasn't cycled before I added the fish. Someone told me that the ammonia spike I'm currently having could be to it going through the cycling process now. It's a 10 gallon tank. When I first experienced the spike, I did a 50% water change, still high so I did a 30%, a couple days after did a 20%. I've only done a 20% water change once a week since then (that Saturday and this past Saturday).

If you’re cycling that’s likely your problem. You need to be testing daily and probably water changing daily or every other day until cycled.

What are your water parameters right now?

Back
Top Bottom