Might have Ich

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

almcloud

Aquarium Advice Freak
Got a Apistogramma pair a week ago from lfs.
A few days after introducing them my small Panda Cory dies ....
Then Apisto female showed signs of fear and stress, not eating nor swimming, mainly staying at top or bottom of tank, heavily breathing. (didn't notice anybody chasing her, she was chasing others throughout the first few days)
Another day goes by and I found her dead :(
Went back to lfs and realize that the other two Apisto females from same batch i got mine have ich by now (not even worker knew).
A few days ago I also realized that some of my Corries scratch themselves against gravel, stones and plants, but no sign of visible ich.
This morning when i fed them i realized what seems to be ich (pls see pics)
I am afraid for my fish and the male Apisto (from different tank at lfs) starts to hide, not eating and barely swimming (i hope won't have same destiny as female).
Here are my tank facts:
[FONT=&quot]55 GAL Marineland[/FONT][FONT=&quot] (70 G Penguin 350B & 40G Sponge) filters
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]1x Balloon Ram (male) [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1x Swordtail [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]3x Kuhli Loach [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2x Black Kuhli
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1x Blue Dwarf Gourami (male)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1x Panda Cory[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2x Bronze Cory[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1x Dbl Full Red Agassizi (male)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1x Flame Dwarf Gourami (female)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1x Electric Blue Ram (female)[/FONT]

Water test:
PH 7.5 (LA water with Prime)
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 15

Please help !!!

Attachments

• Cory w-ich 2.jpg
    Cory w-ich 2.jpg
    168.4 KB · Views: 95
  • cory w-ich 3.jpg
    cory w-ich 3.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 100
  • cory w-ich 4.jpg
    cory w-ich 4.jpg
    179.2 KB · Views: 87
Raise the temp slowly to 86 F

Add an airstone to increase oxygenation

Do gravel vacs every 2-3 days to remove ich spore from substrate

Maintain this schedule for minimum of 2 weeks

LyndaB said:
Raise the temp slowly to 86 F

Add an airstone to increase oxygenation

Do gravel vacs every 2-3 days to remove ich spore from substrate

Maintain this schedule for minimum of 2 weeks

Thanks, will do.
Any medication?

Some people do use medication, but alot of fish species are sensitive to meds.

Alot of people have reliably cured ich just using heat, salt, and frequent water changes.

Talvari said:
Some people do use medication, but alot of fish species are sensitive to meds.

Alot of people have reliably cured ich just using heat, salt, and frequent water changes.

Got it.
Thank you.

This might sound weird, but I checked the Cory out earlier and I don't see any other signs of ich on his body.
Could have been some sand from the bottom of the tank that got stuck on his upper body?

I've been doing salt and... Kinda heat and I'm seeing improvement. I've been doing really good gravel vacs daily.

This might sound weird, but I checked the Cory out earlier and I don't see any other signs of ich on his body.
Could have been some sand from the bottom of the tank that got stuck on his upper body?

It could be. The pictures dont quite look like ich, anyways. Usually its a light cover over the entire body, not just one little spot.

Id still do the heat and water changes anyways, just to be safe.

Yes it can be.

Sand on the body (and leaf):
DSC_6252 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Ich:
Clown Loach | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

But, better safe than sorry, I would still follow instructions here... Just remember to add oxygen as there is less oxygen at higher temps (and even less again if you add salt, which you may not want to do with Cories).

"Ich" Treatment

Thanks, will do.
Any medication?

Hello alm...

Below are some things to considering doing:

Raising the water temp to 86 degrees over a 48 hour period and removing and replacing at least half the tank water every two to three days for a couple of weeks is helpful. If you have an extra power filter, use it. It does a more effective job of aerating your tank than an airstone and helps the fish breath a little easier. Do a good job of vacuumng the gravel, some parasites will be living there.

Add a teaspoon of standard aquarium salt to every five gallons of your water change water. Most fish pathogens can't tolerate even a trace of salt in the water and it has a calming affect on your fish and boosts their immune system.

Keep the lights off in the tank, the "Ich" parasite locates a host by sight. Take care feedng your fish. One of the symptoms of "Ich" is a lack of appetite. You don't need uneaten food fouling the tank water.

Don't resort to chemicals, they can stress your fish and potentially damage sensative plants.

B

Just a teaspoon per five gallons? I've been doing a teaspoon per gallon! That's what I was told.

Holy crap I can't beileive I haven't killed my fish, no wonder they seem to have had a quick turn around.

Just a teaspoon per five gallons? I've been doing a teaspoon per gallon! That's what I was told.

Hello z...

A tablespoon per five gallons of your water change water is the standard dosage. However, most aquatic plants we keep in our tanks are extremely sensitive to high levels of dissolved salts in the water as are some fish, so that's the reasoning behind the smaller dose.

A trace of standard aquarium salt, canning salt or kosher salt is enough to kill most fish pathogens. So, to me, it's better to dose a smaller amount first and see how fish and plants react.

B

Female Apistogramma died when barely started the Heat+Salt treatment I was advised here (her mouth was wide open)
Now the male Apistogramma is belly-up barely breathing with mouth wide open (moved him in my newly set-up Quarantine Tank) don't know if he's gonna make it. Don't see any external signs of Ich, Fin Rot or other skin or eye abnormality. It started the same way as the female by hiding and not eating at all.
This is really weird and it all started about a week ago after my recent purchase at lfs (Male+Female Apistogramma Agassizi, Female Red Dwarf Gourami and Electric Blue Ram) ... the Ram and Gourami don't show any unusual behavior and fed them earlier (will keep monitoring).
The Cory I have pics of suspect of Ich, don't think it has it because the shiny dots keep changing pattern and looks more like sand particles from my gravel. Also didn't see any wounds caused after Ich detaches from fish-host (yes I red the suggested article and educated myself, ty Mumma :)
At this point I'm not sure if newly purchase fish were already sick or its just a coincidence and there is something in my tank.
When visited lfs I realised that the tank where my Apito Agassizi came from had other females with Ich.

Latest water parameters (1/19/12):
PH: 7.6 (LA water w/ Prime)
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 10
dKH: 5 , ppm: 89.5
dGH: 6 , ppm: 107.4

I was also thinking to use PolyGuard.

Please let me know what do you think.

It is possible the ich was in their gills. Once it gets into the gills it can effect breathing and cause death.
If you suspect something other than ich I would give the polyguard a go in the QT.

Are your living fish near the surface of the water? Make sure you're not starving them of oxygen...

Back
Top Bottom