Might lose my ryukin?:(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Koikeeper99

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've had this Ryukin for about 6 months by now and she was the third fish I ever got, but now she's sulking at the bottom recently she doesn't move very much, but the thing that tells me she might make it is that she was eating last night. Any ideas what is happening to her? She was in the tank with ich and high nitrates, but both those problems are taken care of now. Just found out she's the one with the white clingy poop so internal parasites?

Are you still feeding them whatever sytrange stuff your lfs is giving you? Are you giving them veggies daily? Have you ever done any cycles of prazi? My suggestion is a dietary change and to treat the tank with metronizadole and praziquantel. Metro needs to be for atleast 2weeks and prazi at 5mg/l for atleast 4 weeks. I think you have other goldfish/koi and would suggest doing a cycle of prazi with them as well at the same time so you are not cross-contaminating your tanks. Alternately, you can feed her Metromeds while treating the tank with prazi.

Are you still feeding them whatever sytrange stuff your lfs is giving you? Are you giving them veggies daily? Have you ever done any cycles of prazi? My suggestion is a dietary change and to treat the tank with metronizadole and praziquantel. Metro needs to be for atleast 2weeks and prazi at 5mg/l for atleast 4 weeks. I think you have other goldfish/koi and would suggest doing a cycle of prazi with them as well at the same time so you are not cross-contaminating your tanks. Alternately, you can feed her Metromeds while treating the tank with prazi.

Yes and not daily veggies only once in a while, and what? And what do you mean cross contaminating my two tanks?

And how long will she live for if I can't treat it right away? And will it spread through my other fish?

Start by adding daily veggies and increasing your water changes. I honestly would switch everyone to either a homemade or commercial gelfood- you don't know what is in the stuff your lfs is making.

Next, you need to treat sooner rather than later. If you only have one set of equipment for your tanks, your cross contaminating. Anything in tank 1 will be spread to tank 2 via the equipment and your hands unless your sterilizing everything in between. Please ask if you have questions!

Start by adding daily veggies and increasing your water changes. I honestly would switch everyone to either a homemade or commercial gelfood- you don't know what is in the stuff your lfs is making.

Next, you need to treat sooner rather than later. If you only have one set of equipment for your tanks, your cross contaminating. Anything in tank 1 will be spread to tank 2 via the equipment and your hands unless your sterilizing everything in between. Please ask if you have questions!

Ill ask for a nutrition label when I go there next time. And no I have separate equipment for each tank. And should I just find meds that say internal parasite cure? Or is the stuff you mentioned needed? And where would I find it?

API makes a product called General Cure that is available at any Petsmart or decent lfs. It's mix of metro and prazi. The cost using this product will be high. Prazipro (Hikari) or powdered praziquantel and metronidazole are both available online at any big aquatic dealer, National Fish Pharmecuticals, amazon, eBay, etc. The Goldfish Connection also sells Metromeds (metro med food) and prazi as well.

Short term, quarantine her and treat her with API general cure. Order a large bottle of Prazipro or powdered prazi to treat your tanks. Let's see how she does with this.

I'm not home now I will if she's still alive.i just dont want to buy expensive meds if she's just gonna die.

I am very sorry to hear this :( You honestly need to get them on a better diet and everyone needs atleast a full cycle or two of prazi. Its very easy and very safe but treatment needs to be for atleast 4wks at 5mg/l. If you have questions, please ask!

I am very sorry to hear this :( You honestly need to get them on a better diet and everyone needs atleast a full cycle or two of prazi. Its very easy and very safe but treatment needs to be for atleast 4wks at 5mg/l. If you have questions, please ask!

This is what the LFS feed their fish and they have MASSIVE Goldie's and very healthy ones at that. I don't think it's the diet as all the other fish are fine. And what happens if I don't use this prazi stuff? Will they all die?

This is the thing-pretty much every goldfish (unless your purchasing from a private breeder with strict standards) has flukes to some degree. The damage they do allows bad bacteria to enter the bloodstream, simply put. It also limits their ability to breathe due to gill damage. Weeks, months (or even longer) later, your fish is bottom sitting, floating, dropsied, septicemic and on and on. Flukes are one of the biggest threats to goldfish but they are also easily treatable. An ounce of prevention prevents a pound (or more) of cure in this case and prazi is the one med I always have on hand. If you would like to learn more, spend some time reading on Kokos or the GAB on their suggested protocols.

Cure-all? By no means! Fancies are frought with all sorts of issues but this is an easy to step to take to lessen them to some degree and to rule out one possible causative factor when problems do surface.

Back
Top Bottom