Milky streaks on Glass Catfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Koikid88

Aquarium Advice Freak
First things first, I've had 5 in a 20g long for about 5 months now, only 1 is full size.
I understand the recommended tank is 25g for these guys, but it hasn't been a problem with tons of plants, 2 caves they stay in, plus an open feeding area.

Filters are Eheim Liberty (30g) plus an aquaclear 10.

Ph 7.6
amm 0
nitrite 0
nitrate <10

Tank went through Ich treatment, (Very little salt) but got the temp up for 2 weeks. All was fine, ich dissipated, another 2 months went by.
Then during feeding yesterday, I noticed the largest catfish had milky streaks/patches down his one side. Not visible on the side he usually has facing the glass (Because of the current)

I can't find much info other than "it is stressed or dying". Can't any one throw in their 2 cents?

There's no reason for him to be stressed, although I removed neon tetras last week, plus hand removed snails just under a week ago.

Do the streak like patches indicate something other than stress? Are blotches more common than streaks, and indicate something else?

It still acts 100% normal. First time dealing with health issues on one of my more sensitive fish.

In week 2 of having a milky catfish.

The others are still visibly fine, healthy appetite.
Sick one still eats, just hangs out in his cave more often than he used to. Behaviour hasn't changed since he became milky

Water conditions remain the same, upped the weekly 25% to 40% this week.
Everyone else in the tank is healthy.

Ideas?

That is really odd. I have read the same thing where streaks usually mean trouble, but there doesn't seem to be an issue with your tank.
As long as the behavior is fine, I say try not to worry about it too much.
When you got him, was he smaller? I guess I am asking if you know how old he was when you got him?

To be honest, I don't know how big he was when I got him.
Him and another are the 2 biggest, the same size, so I'm guessing they're full grown. There are smaller ones which haven't grown all too much yet either.

Yeah, didn't think of that, just age possibly.

Hmmm the glass cats I had that started turning white eventually died. No known cause for me.

To be honest, I don't know how big he was when I got him.
Him and another are the 2 biggest, the same size, so I'm guessing they're full grown. There are smaller ones which haven't grown all too much yet either.

Yeah, didn't think of that, just age possibly.
Thats a possibility. Glass cats are mostly wild caught, so its hard to know how old they are. Its possible that he is just a little old. Thats my best guess at the moment...

Thanks though. Even if he does eventually pass, I'll just say it was age so I don't feel bad lol
Even if I determine a disease, I won't treat the entire tank, and I don't want to isolate him in QT. That alone would probably kill him

Back
Top Bottom