Miraculous fish defies death!!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yohann976

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was feeding my 1 1/2 year old discus around 10 this morning. If I get too close to the tank while they feed, they usually make a splash and dart downward. This time, my pigeon blood actually jumped. I didn't think anything of it, so I began to get ready for work. At 10:25, I went to watch my discus one last time before I left for work but I couldn't find my pigeon blood. Frantically, I began looking around my tank.

To my horror, I found him behind the tank. He was lifeless, with a very thick, milky white slime coat on his side. I picked him up but he was stiff and not breathing. I contemplated just throwing him in the trash, but then I thought that I had to give it a shot.

I cupped him in both hands and began moving him slowly forward and backwards through the water. About two minutes into it, just before I was going to give up, his gills began to move. Two more minutes into it, I let him go and he sank to the bottom. The other discus seemed curious as to what happed to thir leader. After about five minutes, his body began to shake violently for about ten seconds. Then he began to swim!!!!

He is not out of the woods yet though. The side that was exposed to the air, while he was out of the tank, still has that thick white slime coat on it and he isn't using that fin too much yet. I hope that he is going to be alright.

If you guys have any suggestions....please let me know. I'm sure that some of you have already experienced this before, feel free to share.

Very lucky discus! Keep an eye on him, he may be just fine. The closest thing I have to a similar story is when I recently got some discus shipped to me, when I opened the packaging, one discus had no water in his container. I quickly poured water from another container into his and he started breathing. It's been 2 weeks and he's as fit as a fiddle. I'm sure yours will be ok.

Keep the water as pristine as you can and he should be fine.

That is pretty amazing! That is one lucky discus! :D I don't know much about discus, which I think they are very pretty looking fish. I want to have a discus tank ones of these days.

But anyway, I kind of a have similar story. I am more into the spiny eels, I have a 17" Fire eel, that I had for about 2 years now and a couple months ago, I bought 2 peacocks eels, which I was raising in my 30Gal, until they get big enough for the 120G. Well anyway spiny eels are escape artiest, and I thought I had the tank hood sealed off pretty well, so they could not escape, well need less to say I didn't and they both found a very small hole next to filter that I didn't think they could get out of and they jumped ship at night when they are active and didn't catch it in time. :cry:

But as far the the body slime, and eye cloud you might try getting a bottle of melafix. I think Melafix works pretty good, I know it works pretty good on Eye Cloud, Body Slime and fungus. I know my fire eel got a nasty cut on from trying to dig under the gravel and nicked himself of the log he hides behind. When I noticed it, it had the white body slime and kind of fungus growing on it, so I ran Melafix in the tank for about a week, and it healed it. So I think Melafix works pretty good. Well anyway that is my 2cents, so you might try that, and like I said, I don't know much about discus fish, and there might be a different way you need to take, since they can be a touchy fish.

I did a 50% water change earlier today and I'll keep it as clean as possible with another pwc later in the week. I know that this is going to sound corny, but I think that he is comforted by fact that the other discus are swimming so closely to him. Since he is the 'leader,' they always follow him wherever he goes.

Zagz said:
Keep the water as pristine as you can and he should be fine.

I would do that too, just keep the water as clean as possible. Which nature will takes it course and he will pull out of it. :D

Discus are a lot hardier than most people think providing you meet the conditions they require. They thrive in clean pristine water and calm non aggressive situation. They are a beautiful fish no doubt about it. Keep us updated, I will be pulling for your discus although I am sure he will be fine. I agree he is comforted with the other discus. It's not corny at all.

It seems befitting that my post has been moved to the unhealthy fish forum. Now I need to know what I can do to return my fish back to his original health. He hasn't eaten since the accident and doesn't even seem to be interested in food. He just swims in one spot, for the most part, all day long. His eye has cleared up somewhat, but the side that was exposed to the air, is still looking pretty nasty. Are there any medications that I can use to aid in his recovery process? Also, when should I expect him to begin eating again?

P.S. I'll take some pics as soon as my fiance gets back with the camera.

Missing slime coat/scales will allow FW to more easily enter the body, and also will not prevent salty body fluids from escaping. To counter this, the fish has to work harder to expel the excess FW from it's body to maintain proper osmotic flow. Increasing the salinity with aquarium salt will help, assuming discus can with stand salty water.? An antifungal medication may be a good preventative at this point as well.
I'll go back to my side now heh.. Good luck.

wow what a great story and awesome you didnt give up. Fish never stop amazing me. I wish you luck and hope he returns to full health. :)

FISH EMERGENCY!!!!! I just got home from work....I don't know what happened....but my discus took a turn for the worst. I am seriously contemplating euthanizing him, but I want to try some medicine first. The areas where his slime coat is missing now has a fuzzy white film on it; it almost looks like a mold. He is hardly moving....he is just resting on the bottom of the tank.

What medicines should I use for this 'mold'? Also, if I were to use a salt, what kind of salt should I use?

Once I get a reply, I'll head over to the pet store.

Try a salt dip and throw him in a QT. If he's getting any type of fungal or bacteria infection, I'm sure you don't want the other fish being affected by that. I always use pima and melafix. They seem to have the least fatality rate in comparison with other meds I've used.

The areas where his slime coat is missing now has a fuzzy white film on it; it almost looks like a mold.
That is why I suggested the antifungal medication as a preventative. This was likely to happen. I would use it asap. Setting up a QT may be a good idea as said.
Also, if I were to use a salt, what kind of salt should I use?
Regular aquarium salt. It's sold at most LFS's. Not salt mix for SW, but aquarium salt for FW tanks. Be sure Discus can handle it though. Some FW fish are less tolerant of it than others. 1 tsp aquarium salt per 5 gal is suggested. Fingers crossed...

The fungus was more frightening than the jump. Luckily, he overcame the sickness. He should have a full recovery.

congratulations, good to hear that...youy wouldnt happen to have any pics of the tank or the fish?

Unfortunately, I cannot take any pics for the time being. My fiance lost our camera a few days ago. It too bad, I was going to take a bunch of pics for the planted tank forum as well. I finally got the whole "balance your ferts" thing right. Now my plants are growing too fast. lol.

haha nice. I may do discus in the future when I actually settle down into ahouse, in college atm.

They are cichlids, remember...

I had a JD go carpet surfing once. I found him when he was still just damp, not wet - I lowered him into a bucket and gently waved water into his opercula for a few minutes. He came around and lived several years after that. He took up trench digging with his forehead after the incident - maybe there was a bit of brain damage, but it wasn't too bad.

Back
Top Bottom