Misformed Molly fry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SushiRoll

Aquarium Advice Freak
What do you do with a misformed molly fry?:confused: I have one and she is 2 months old. It's nothing real bad it's just that it's noticeable because one pectoral fin is more vertical but, the other one is okay and the side with the vertical fin is more fat; She is half the size of the other fry. She swims fine and has always been like this.

Many times there are livebearer fry in a batch that will have some type of birth defect. In nature they don't last long so the defective condition or gene is not passed on. This unfortunately is rather normal in both livebearer and egg laying fry. Some defects are more survivable than others. OS.

How bad do you think it is? Could the younging still live in a community aquarium or will it have an awful life? Depends on what you think you made need to cull it.

I don't think it's bad at all, it's just she has to work the vertical side more and I can see a size difference.

If its not going to impact her life and doesn't look bad. It's fine. Would you buy the fish?

keep her for now its normal for deformed fish to have a stunted growth they normally get stressed easier if its small enough i would probably feed it to the female molly for some extra nutrients because it most likely wont survive as out of 10 feeder guppies 5 survived and these ones didnt have deformities

She is already at least 3/4 of an inch, which is to big for her mother to eat.

Back
Top Bottom