Missing scales?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Skuseman

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have 2 huge gold fish. They seem to be very healthy except they have a few missing scales. I think they were scratching themselves a while back on the bottom of the tank. However they have never seemed to grow them back. Will they grow back? and If so how can I help them To grow them back any quicker?

What size tank do you have? My step mother has 2 huge oranda's and they are in a 15 gal and they have lost some scales, I believe it is stress from being too cramped. So far the scales haven't grown back. Although they are still in the 15 gal Arrrgghhh

If they were scratching their scales, it could be a sign of ich(or other external parasites) that they are trying to "scrape" off. Water quality and a healthy life for them is what will make the scales come back healthy and quickly, if they do. Answe Zagz' questions, and plue tell us how often you clean your tank and how. Also, do you have any other fish in with the goldies?

OK =) The gold fish are in a 55 gallon. The tank mates incude a bull shark. 2 tiger barbs a blind cave fish. A Cory cat an algea eater of some kind. An angelfish a diamond tetra and 3 fruit tetras. I do a 20% water change every two weeks. No signs of sickness or stress with other fish.I have live plants and am using co2 as well. All tests are within normal range. I guess thats all. The fish seem perfectly happy. Just wanted to know if there scales will grow back.

they should grow back and be fine, just make sure they dont get an infection

bull shark? do you have any other name that you know of for it i'm not familiar with that other than the bull sharks in the ocean that can grow up to 12ft long...lol

haha. Its a catfish tri color mixed together. I seen on a website those being refereed to as bull sharks. Can't remember the site though. Its an awesome fish. It is my favorite. He's almost 6" long now got him when He was one 1.5 ".

From what I understand goldfish and angelfish are not the best tankmates due to the tropical vs coldwater issue. It is possible that the temp of your tank is upsetting to the goldfish. Although fancy goldfish can tolerate higher temps, it's still not recommended to have goldfish with tropical fish.

Back
Top Bottom