Molly and Guppy White Patches

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Smaug21

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I was visiting my parents today after graduation and they have what looks like a fungus on there mollys and guppies in their tanks. I meant to get a picture while i was over there, but i forgot. They have alot of fish in their 30g, 2 black mollies, 2 red swordtails, 2 platies, a couple of different tetras, about 6 or so of them, 4 or 5 otto's, a red tailed shark, a couple of different cories, and 2 adult and a bunch of baby guppies.

The problem is only on the black mollies and maybe the male guppy. I was supposed to take the female guppy so that they don't overrun their already well-stocked tank, but i wasn't going to take a fish that was in a tank with a diesease.

As far as specs, i don't have the chemical numbers because they don't have a test and i don't always bring mine, but a couple of weeks ago they were fine at about, 0 0 and 10 or 15 ppm. The tank is a 30g fairly heavly planted with java fern, wistera, a bunch of floating stuff, and some others. Filtration is a HOB not sure of the brand but it was keeping the specs in check. If you think anything else is important spec was ask and i'll see what i can find out.

To get to the problem, it appears as a single spot on the head of the black mollies, and on the back of the guppy. It's not ich, because it's only in a single spot, and it's not specificly on the head or something. It's somewhat fuzzy and looks like that fungus you get if you leave something way to long in an aquarium (which i haven't done in a long time thankfully)

My best guess was either a fungus or Columnaris? either way the first step is an anti-fugal something or other, then we'll move on to the anti-bacterial for the columaris. If it i's one of those two, anybody have some suggestions beyond a bit of medicine?

If i can, i'll see if i can get them to send a picture, not having much luck with pictures to I.d. it very much.

I'd apreciate the help.

Fungus often just strikes fish that are stressed and not the whole tank, IME. Columnaris is a bacteria, as you know, and can infect the entire tank. Here is an article on columnaris:

http://freshaquarium.about.com/cs/disease/p/columnaris.htm

If you're pretty sure it's fungus, try to treat the affected fish in a QT tank. If the rest of the fish start showing symptoms, then columnaris is more likely. I have always had good luck with Jungle Fungus Eliminator. It has both anti-fungal and anti-bacterial properties.

How often are water changes done on the tank? It seems to be on the verge of being heavily stocked, and more frequent or larger water changes may be beneficial for the health of the tank. Are the otos doing well? They usually don't tolerate high nitrate levels. A lot of plants like the ones in the tank can keep the nitrate levels down, but that doesn't take the place of regular water changes.

P.S. Graduation - congrats!

Thanks for the reply, as far as your questions.

I don't think the water changes are up to my standards, but on the flip side, the first group of otto's that he got a month ago or so are still alive, and from my personal experience they are pretty fragile guys so i can't imagine the water is too bad. He bought a second batch of about 3 a few weeks ago and they are still alive too, really tiny, so the water can't be too bad their either because the slightest stress seems to kill those guys early.

As far as colimunaris, i'm not really sold on it yet. While the guppy did seem to have a "saddle" thing, it wasn't very noticable, and the mollies sections were on the head, but they weren't really near the mouth, the larger one had it near the back side of the head on the top, so not near the gills or the mouth. But it's still possible and thanks for the suggestions.

I'll recomend Jungle Fungus Eliminator when they come in to do some things tommorow, i think thats probably similar to what they'd get. I think thats a brand they carry at petsmart? cause that's probably where they are headed.

Edit: Was looking through some of my stuff and i found some Jungle Fungus Clear that i bought a couple of months ago to unsuccesfully treat some fin rot. Is that what your talking about? at anyrate, i think i'll give them some of these to try first.

Jungle Fungus Clear is a different product - I've never tried it. The Fungus Eliminator is a yellow powder. I get a cup of tank water and put the recommended amount of powder (based on tank size) in the cup and dissolve it, then pour into the tank. I did find the Fungus Eliminator at Petsmart. Try the Fungus Clear since you have some but if it doesn't help, the Fungus Eliminator should be easy to find and I've always found that it helps.

Thanks for responding, if it dosen't help i will look for that.

I haven't heard anything from my parents and they put the stuff in a few days ago, so i'll take a look and see if it's worse on Christmas in a few days here, so i'll have an update at the very least.

Back
Top Bottom