Molly Died Unexpectedly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

robertleepatton

Aquarium Advice Regular
Molly just died today:( I don't know why though it's been ok in my 20 gal tank I'm not over feeding nitrite and nitrate levels are safe everything is right but she floated to the gravel and died I don't understand why please help me? Do I need a bigger tank?

What are the other tankmates? What are the ammonia levels? Are you using test strips or a liquid testing kit? Is the tank cycled? How long has it been set up?

There is 4 other mollies a small pleco a dragon fish two Cory catfish and snails with ghost shrimp. Tank has been cycled ammonia levels are in the safe zone I am using a strip test kit and it's been up for 6 months

Please invest in a decent testing kit. The API master test kit is the most recommended. Strips are inaccurate at best and I believe what strips list as 'safe' for ammonia & nitrite is actually .50ppm which in fact is NOT 'safe'. Ammonia & nitrite should be zero in a cycled tank- any detectable levels of these two toxins can result in fish sickness & demise. Nitrate should be 20ppm or less. If you have detectable ammonia and/or nitrite, we need to address why these levels are present in order to keep your fish healthy & happy.

What size is the dragon fish (by which I assume you mean Dragon Goby) and how long have you had it? They can reach up to 15"-24" but that number might be slightly lower in captivity and need a 55+ gal tank.

They are also brackish so I"m assuming you're adding salt and monitoring salt levels? What's your salinity now? What temp is the tank?

What does "safe" zone mean for ammonia and nitrite? They should both be 0. If they aren't, something is going on. Do you replace your filter media regularly (which isn't needed or recommended as it can mess with your cycle)? What are your nitrates? How much water do you change each week? Which dechlorinator do you use?

First thing is I'd do a 50% water change. Then get yourself a good liquid test kit (API master is best) and test ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and see what they are. Post here if you need help.

Sometimes fish die, they get old or sick, sometimes it just happens. But to know for sure whether something in your tank is harming your fish you need the proper tools.

Reactions: jlk
I change my filter when it gets clogged up I put that good bacteria production enzyme my nitrate is below 20 ppm my amonnium is 0 ppm ph is 7 or 7.1 he is roughly 5 to six inches and my mom will not let me buy a bigger tank

I do a 20 to 25 % every 2 to 4 weeks

Water change

I am not using any salt at all

My tank is between 75 to 80 degrees all the time

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom