Molly fin rot treatment, please help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jnam

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My tank is planted and just one lone molly has developed a nasty fin rot. Her tail is very opaque and about 2/3 the way gone. I believe she contracted this as a secondary infection. I just got done treating an Ich break out, heat only for two weeks no salt. She got over the Ich but now her tail is just disapeering. SOoooo i boought what seems to be diluted tea tree oil to treat the fin rot. My question is Can fin rot be transmitted to the otherwise healthy fish? And if not can my lone molly be removed to the QT tank to be treated. Second if I do have to treat the entire tank will the tea tree oil harm my plants and my shrimp?

TIA
Water params
7.8 PH
0.1 Amonia
0.0 nitrite
25 Nitrate

the Amonia should be less by the end of today the Ich claimed two of my Glow lights, 1 of my female guppies, and i couldnt find one of them in the tank (my shrimp and the snails LOVE dead fish and half the time all i can find of the dead ones are their almost clean skeletons). I did a 25% PWC this morning. And tonight I'll search again for the other body.

first off what size tank do you have, second how many fish do you have. ok yes fin rot is transmittable, so quarentine asap and monitor other fish for about a week to two or so. there are a few ways i have dealt with fin rot antibiotics, water changes, and salt baths. oh yeah tea tre oil will not affect your plants or shrimp. i hear it's not too good for apple snails though.

thanks no apple snails. Its a 55 gallon but i can move the molly to the qt tank wich is only 2.5 gallons to treat just her. But if the other fish could be infected i am probably better off treating the whole 55 gallon right?

If you can move to QT- do that because treating with antibiotics will nix your biofilter.

If the rest of your fish get finrot, then obviously you have to deal with that issue, but if you can keep it to just one tank's biofilter being destroyed it might make the rest of your fish much happier.

QT'd the molly and treated her with tea tree oil. Her tail is growing back and the white film is gone. She has moved to the 10 gallon shrimp tank to recoupe and is doing fine. The tea tree oil did kill the bio filter in that tank as well as 1 ghost shrimp... but the molly is doing excellent. Thanks for all the help!

QT'd the molly and treated her with tea tree oil. Her tail is growing back and the white film is gone. She has moved to the 10 gallon shrimp tank to recoupe and is doing fine. The tea tree oil did kill the bio filter in that tank as well as 1 ghost shrimp... but the molly is doing excellent. Thanks for all the help!

sorry to here that with all that, you still had to lose a fish.:(

Where do you get Tea Tree Oil??? i have a pleco with serious fin rot, and am willing to try everything!!!

how much do i put in??? help!

You can generally get TTO at a health foods store and some drugstores carry it.

It's INCREDIBLY potent... don't know the dosage but I can't imagine it would be much.

You'll want to use a QT tank as it'll definitely kill your biofilter.

TTO will kill your BB so please only use it in your qt tank!!

Back
Top Bottom