Molly sick from mating?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Phoenixphire55

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a tank containing several different types of mollys. There are two male sailfins, and then seven females. A few days ago I saw the more aggressive sailfin trying to mate with one of the females. Today she is sitting on the bottom of the tank and looks like she's about to die. Any idea if this is caused by the stress from mating? Will my other females die too? :(

It may be stress from mating. Does she look pregnant? Is she gasping at all? What are your parameters? Is she eating at all?

Ditto what Anne said. Is she old? Does her back have a downward angle strting at the middle (Her back end looks lower than normal)? Sometimes livebears are just plum worn out from having several batches of babies and they cross over to the big aquarium in the sky.

I put her in a net breeder in the corner of the tank and haven't fed her since two nights ago. I dont think she's pregnant or old. She does seem to be getting ever so slightly better though.

Feed her a very small amout and see if she eats. Two or three meals will be better than one until she feels better. You can try frozen food lik brine or mysis shrimp. Your other platys and mollies will enjoy the frozen food as treats so the pack won't go to waste.

I could believe that it is mating stress. You do have a decent ratio of M to F but that doesn't guarantee anything.

Sorry to hear that, hope your others are doing well.

Back
Top Bottom