Molly Swimming vertical?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Emi929

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi I'm new :) my dalmatian male Molly, there is something wrong with him. He eats fine, poops fine, and is not bloated, but when he starts to tread water, he starts to flip backwards (HEAD UP) almost a back flip, proceed to have what I can only describe as a seizure, then about 10-30 seconds later he flips back over and swims along totally fine!! I fasted for two days, then fed some peas in case it was bloat or constipation. No new tank substrate, no new chemicals, PWC once a week 30% just like always. No change, started about 3 days ago. I'm positive there's enough oxygen, and not too much current. ANY IDEAS???? Temp. Is 78, param.= Amm.: 0 nitrAte: 15 nitrIte: 0 pH=7.7

If your tank link is correct, you have quite a few fish for a 10gal. And that Chinese Algae Eater may become a nuisance when it gets bigger.

A mollie will often point straight up and down if it feels confused or threatened - so I would watch him for a little while and see if any of the other fish pick on him.

Also, mollies are sometimes prone to neurological conditions when kept in Soft water or without salt. So, if you have some Aquarium Salt (must say Aquarium Salt, not Reef Salt) - or if you have UNIODIZED Table Salt - mix about a spoonful of it into some warm, declorinated water, and then add it to your tank.

The minerals in the salt improves oxygen intake and brain function so they will be less likely to shake like that.

AH HA! I think it may be because of soft water, and not enough salt. I'll try some salt tonight. How big will the CAE get? And also, would it be advisable to do a salt bath or dip? Is the salt okay for the ADF?

A salt bath/dip really isn't necessary. Unless the mollie is looking bloated or outwardly ill, then the issue is completely internal and they just need the benefit of having the minerals in the water for a bit.

The Aquarium Salt should not hurt your frog as long as you do a small dose. Start by just taking a drinking glass, fill it with warm water, add a little aquarium dechlorinator, then add a teaspoon of the salt and stir until dissolved. Then pour the glass into the water.

Just make sure that the salt is completely dissolved, because undissolved salt crystals can burn the fish if the fish touch or eat them.

The reason behind all this is that Mollies are actually a normally-"brackish" fish. In the wild, they live at the deltas of rivers, which means when the tide rolls out - they get fresh river water, but when it rolls in, they get salty ocean water.

A "brackish" aquarium involves actually adding "reef salt" to amounts in-between freshwater and oceanwater. But that would definitely put an end to everything else in your aquarium, so the Aquarium Salt gives them minerals without actually "making saltwater".

Also important to remember - Salt doesn't evaporate. So if you want to keep a little bit of salt in your aquarium all the time - only add more when you're actually taking water out. And only add an amount of salt relative to the water you're taking out.

My recommendation would be to try the 1 teaspoon of salt for 1-2 weeks, and see if the Molly doesn't start swimming better. If he does, you can slowly remove the salt simply by not adding more when you do your water changes.

If you see the ADF acting abnormally after you add the salt, start removing it by doing water changes.

I've never personally owned a CAE, but they apparently get to 3-4in. The problem I've heard people have with CAEs is that they have a tendency to sneak up on other fish while they're sleeping - and start sucking on them until their slime coat comes off. Which is not good. :p

I'd say keep him - just keep both eyes on him. :p

He is swimming MUCH better! I added 2 tsp. Of salt, and by the next day he stopped doing it! Thank you so much!!!

My CAE does sneak up on my fish, and I'm at the end of my rope with it. I'm going to get rid of it if it doesn't quit. What snail would be good for a 10 gal, with minimal algae only like a clear/ beige coat?

Look up "Freshwater Nerite Snails" - they dont have very bright colors, but you can get them in a variety of shell-designs (and "horned nerites" have little horns on their shell. :) ) -- they're fairly slow so it'll take awhile for them to do anything and they're not exciting to watch - but they'll clean up algae - and they only reproduce in Brackish water - so even with some Aquarium Salt - if you put 3 snails in, you'll only ever have 3 snails. :)

Hey thanks! I chose 2 juvenile apple snails, and they are doing a great job cleaning up. They don't multiply if you destroy the eggs and they get the size of a baseball fully grown, but that's in like IDEAL perfect water, and over a few years, so I don't have much to worry about. :)

He is swimming MUCH better! I added 2 tsp. Of salt, and by the next day he stopped doing it! Thank you so much!!!

My CAE does sneak up on my fish, and I'm at the end of my rope with it. I'm going to get rid of it if it doesn't quit. What snail would be good for a 10 gal, with minimal algae only like a clear/ beige coat?

Sorry, but CAEs get about a foot long. Really need to consider finding him a new home or being able to upgrade.

That's what every site says and I have seen huge ones at LFS. There is one shop that has probably eight inch ones in a species only display tank. They get very aggressive and develop a hierarchy sort of thing.

Okay, yeah, I'm gonna get rid of him. I hope you don't think I was questioning your knowledge, I just wanted to know your sources ;)

No, no. I didn't think you were. I was just advising you against them. I got some through the misinformation of an LFS and got rid of them as fast as I could after I learned they get big and carnivorous.

Back
Top Bottom