molly swimming vertical

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sjkelly817

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i have 4 mollies, and 2 of them have recently started swimming vertically. The one is pregnant and the other is its mating partner. is there anything i can do? i turned up the temp to 85 could that be why?
thanks

First why did you turn the heat up? Are you treating for ich? What size tank are they in and are there any other tankmates? What are your water parameters?

I turned the heat up because i thought it would help after noticing the way they were swimming, was that a bad idea? should i turn it down? The tank is only 5 gallons with 4 mollies, 3 shrimp, a swordtail (and 3 baby fry). I know overstocked but they have been living fine for a few months all together.
I am not sure what the parameters are because i don't have a test kit.

you need a test kit - preferable one that using liquid reagents. it could be ammonia and/or nitrite poisoning. Do a large water change (50%) and see if it helps. Water changes are always a good "first line of attack".

Do the water change and then slowly lower the temp back to normal. Increasing the temps helps when treating ich. If you didn't add extra aeration then the fish might be reacting due to the lack of oxygen in the water.

Back
Top Bottom