Molly swimming vertically head down

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RaygunK

Aquarium Advice Freak
My dalmatian Molly has been swimming vertically with her head down for the past 2-3 days. I recently lost another Molly that got a curved spine, if that's any clue to what's going on. I had my dalmatian molly in isolation all day yesterday and she acted ok, but it's a little fish bowl and i can't keep her in that very long. So i put her back in the big tank today and she immediately goes back to vertically swimming. Also her tail has been nipped at pretty bad by my platy's (i think).

I checked my water, everything seems fine to me.
29 gallon tank
Here are my #'s:
Ammonia: 0
Nitrites:0
Nitrates:10
Ph:7.2

Suggestions or ideas? I don't want my other fish getting sick from her, but i also don't know if what she has is contagious or if she will recover. :ermm:

Thanks,
Reagan

Not sure without any pics but sounds like either swim bladder or TB.

Everything i read (and watched) on swim bladder shoes them swimming vertically with the head up and flipping over belly up. She isn't doing that, but i'm not ruling it out, just saying. I thought TB originally, b/c i just put another Molly down for that b/c she developed a pretty bad bent spine. The other molly never swam funny like this one. This morning she is acting a little better, she's hid out most of the past 24 hours. Do you think it has anything to do with her tail being nipped off so bad? Oh, and she's had really weird almost orange and green (Light green, almost tan) striped poo--it's really gross--sorry if you haven't had your coffee yet. ;)

Didn't know about the tail incident but maybe cuz there isn't much of one, maybe it can't swim head up. That could very well be the reason why its swimming head down.

Poor thing :(

I had a guppy who looked very similar. I suspect swim bladder as she was struggling with her buoyancy... unfortunately it doesn't end well.

Yeah, i figured she'd swam that way for 4 days or so and it was probably really hard on her, so ice bath it was. :(.

Yeah, i figured she'd swam that way for 4 days or so and it was probably really hard on her, so ice bath it was. :(.
Fish keeping is not such a happy-go-lucky hobby as they make it out to be. There's always a bad fish loss that you never really forget. (At least I don't forget the deaths of my favorite or pretty fish) I hope you can find a replacement for him that is equally pretty! :)

Well, baby platy's keep popping up in my tank, so it's making putting one down easier b/c i keep finding new ones! ;)

I have no idea! B/c i don't know who had them or if i bought one of the females already pregnant. But the platies i have are orange mm and 2 red wags. I'm just took some pics to post on another thread, but i'll post pics on here of the three i've found. They're coming from my ipad, so they'll be on the next reply.

thanks! how long does it take for them to "grow up"? i accidentally fell into the fry, so i really don't know anything about them.

Back
Top Bottom