Molly w/ a droopy tail

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fish_are_friends

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My female dalmatian Molly is starting to swim around with a droopy tail. She seems very unbalanced and is swimming awkwardly. My tank is new and still cycling. I did a pwc earlier today and my ammonia tested at .25

Hi! How new is your tank? Do you have an API test kit that tests for amm/nitrite/nitrate/ph? Can you post these results? I suspect your newly cycling tank & water parameters may be at the root of your fish's behavior but lets see how your numbers look & we will go from there! :)

My tank is about a week and a half old. I don't have a test yet for the nitrites/nitrates. I bought one but it only tests for ammonia which is still a .25

You should look into investing a good test kit or purchasing the seperate tests (more expensive). This is very important with a newly cycling tank & keeping aquariums in general. Do you have a decent water conditioner/dechlorinator? I would start by doing daily 50% water changes with temperature-matched, conditioned water. Wait 1/2hr after doing the water change & check your ammonia level. If its .25ppm (or higher), do another 50% water change. You will need to keep the ammonia/nitrite levels below .25ppm- this can only be accomplished through water changes. Please do not hesitate to ask questions!

I've been using the water conditioner that came with my tank kit. I believe it's called aqueon or something like that. I'm planning on getting those testing kits as soon as I get paid but I'll do a big water change today after work.

You can find the API kits for @$10 cheaper on amazon/ebay than purchasing them in a big chain store. You may also want to consider a water conditioner such as Prime or Amquel Plus that help to bind ammonia & nitrites. Keep us posted! :)

Good advice from Jlk. Just out of curiosity what size tank do you have? Mollys are fairly large fish with large bioloads (e.g. they produce a lot of waste) and in a smaller uncycled tank the toxins are going to buildup quickly. Theres' a link in my signature: "new tank with fish;" it'll guide you through the process of fish-in cycling.

Last edited:
Reactions: jlk
I have a 10g right now, people have been telling me it's a bit small for 2 mollies. I'm planning on getting a 20g soon.

Back
Top Bottom