Molly with popeye

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There is no activated carbon. And thank you for the article. I just dosed the third dose of kanaplex. There still doesn't seem to be any improvement, and it says to use for a maximum of three doses so I guess I will not be using any more kanaplex after this. For now I guess I'll wait for the next couple days to see if this last kanaplex dose helps at all. Thank you for your help thus far

Still the same. We stopped the kanaplex about a week ago. this past Wednesday we did a partial water change of about 40% and then added Api Quick Start to help with the ammonia levels. I ordered fish amoxicillin and it shipped so we're just waiting for that to come. In terms of trying erythromycin, we already tried that. The first time we noticed his eyes a bit big we used that and it fixed it for a few days and then the problem came back and we tried it again but it didn't work. So far we've tried erythromycin, api fin and body cure, and kanaplex. And he's still the same. Is maracyn the same as erythromycin?

Maracyn has Erythromycin for gram positive infections, also additional effectiveness if the fish eat medicated food.

Maracyn 2 is Minocycline from tetracycline antibiotics, treats gram negative infections
https://fritzaquatics.com/products/mardel-maracyn-2

First off it awful this poor guy is still sick.

Erythromycin gram positive
Kanaplex gram negative

Amoxicillin looks like both positive and some negative.

So is it that the eyes are still cloudy, which may never go away, or still swollen as well?

Treated with one dose of amoxicillin a few days ago and he was fine with it, but my brother decided he doesn't want to do any more medicine so I guess we won't be finishing the amoxicillin treatment even though it seemed promising.

Yes I agree it would be worth it to continue but refuses. It is possible the Dalmatian molly's Popeye is gone, but I can't tell. His eyes look bigger than our other Dalmatian Mollys, but maybe that's just how he is? I'll keep watching him but so far his eyes haven't gotten worse so that's good

Moved him into the big tank (35 gal compared to the old 10 gal) two days ago. Still can't tell if there's anything wrong with his eye, but it doesn't seem to be bothering him. Also, that minnow I sent a picture of early on in the thread is still rather bloated, I dont think its pregnant.

Okay so the Molly is fine now. But I have a different problem. I have a betta is a ten gallon (the old tank that the Molly and some other fish were in). I had a Camallanus problem in April/May and lost a lot of fish but since then everything has been fine. The tank has even been empty of fish for a few weeks because everyone was moved to the bigger tank, so all that was left was snails. However last week, we put a betta in the tank and yesterday I noticed he has Camallanus. We had this betta for awhile and he was totally fine until being moved to this tank. Has anyone ever had success in treating Camallanus worms? I am currently using fenbendazole and did the second dose a couple hours ago but he is still the same as yesterday, I can see the worm sticking out.

Double check the dosage, maybe. And I read that the worms can live on inverts / snails. I don't know if that is true or not, but possible eggs hatched and there were some that survived and now the Betta ate a worm or egg from previous cycles of them.

Not really sure.

I might do a bath for that fish with a safe but specific dose.

Did you add any activated carbon or Purigen or other organic resins? That might be removing medication.

Also, not sure if you are using liquid which measures and disperses into the water better or the tablets which do NOT dissolve very well and also make it very difficult to treat accurately.

I also heard it can live on snails so perhaps the worms were just living on the snails for months? There were other fish in there for awhile though so not sure why none of them got the Camallanus again until we put this betta in. And no, there is no activated carbon. I am not using liquid fenbendazole, I am using powder. We soaked bloodworms in half a packet of it and fed it to him and then put the other half packet directly into the water. I still see the worm on him though. Levamisole is also supposed to work and I used it last time and it worked somewhat but not so well and it was really hard on the fish. So I am trying fenbendazole for now but if there's no improvement in the next few days I might try the levamisole. Levamisole is also very difficult to dose though so im trying to avoid it.

I am not sure about the Levamisole but the Fenbendazole will absorb through the body of the fish, so a medicated dip may be of help. It is very likely the powder didn't dissolve in the water. So it isn't a strong enough dosage.

The dosage I used was a 250 mg packet of Fenbendazole, we soaked about half the packet in food and fed it to the betta and the other half we put directly in the tank. We treated for about three days but I still see the worm hanging out. How would I be able to tell if the medicine dissolved? How can I make it dissolve better?

It's about 10 gallons, maybe a slightly more

Back
Top Bottom