Molly with popeye

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cort

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I believe my Dalmatian Molly has popeye. He was sluggish yesterday, just staying at the top swimming in the same spot all day, then today he was staying at the bottom. Then at night I turned the tank light on and noticed his eye is bulging. I can’t tell if the other one is also, but one is definitely big. He is now acting better but his eyes don’t look good. We did a water change and added api fin and body cure. Anything else I should do?

Before the next dose of medication it would be a good idea to clean up the water with a few water changes, to make sure it is basically perfect before the next treatment.

Change 25%, then again 25%, and then a couple hours later about 40%. Using treated water which is like the same temperature of the tank water.

Continue treatments.

Another option is erythromycin, as it is supposed to be very effective for eye issues.

So I ended up doing a round of api fin and body cure which brought the swelling down quite a bit and then I switched to erythromycin and now his eye seems fine.

I have another problem however. For the past month or so my minnow has been getting more and more bloated. It's acting fine but has a very big abdomen. Any ideas on what it could be? Is this normal or is something really wrong?
Pic below.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, so my Dalmatian Molly seems to have a bit of Popeye again. the erythromycin helped the other week but I just went through another round of dosing with it and it didn't help this time. Should I try Api fin and body cure?

What are the water parameters? Generally there is some type of water issue spurring this on.

Sometimes it can be fixed with a (water conditioner treated water / dechlorinator) rinse of the filter media and a series of water changes in the aquarium to get the water parameters back in order.

What kind of substrate do you have? If you have gravel often it traps a bunch of muck and should be vac'd.

Maybe try Kanaplex medication is kanamycin if you need medication.

Do you have any salt in the water?

I have been doing partial water changes/gravel vacs every few days but his eye is getting a bit worse it looks like. I tried erythromycin without any luck, then I tried a couple doses of Api fin and body cure which also didn't help. Last night I dosed two scoops of Kanaplex to the tank (10 gal). So far no improvement though.

What are the water parameters?

Medicating while the water has unsafe parameters, isn't getting the best conditions for healing. I do not know if your water quality is safe or not. Just mentioning it to possibly help.

Okay so I tested the water yesterday, here are the parameters:
pH: 7.6
Ammonia: .25
Nitrites: 0
Nitrates: 5

Just dosed another two scoops of Kanaplex, although it doesn't seem to be helping. His eyes are still very big.

Any ammonia is tough on fish which are already ill.

If you can get your ammonia down to 0. Then add medication.

also you may have ammonia in your tap water you can check it with your test kit.

And also if you have Prime or other water dechlorinator /conditioner which neutralizes /treats ammonia, you can add the number of drops for the tank size to help get that ammonia from the toxic stage to the non toxic stage.

The hard part of the hobby is when there are problems which you try and can't solve. If the fish seems to get worse you may need to euthanize it. There is a sticky in unhealthy fish which has options. Clove oil is what I prefer. Making sure to get real clove oil and not the kind with alcohol (like extract for flavoring), which will burn the fish gills and be terrible for them. Store Pharmacy can order it if they do not have it, or sometimes found in the cake decorating section.

I dont know why the ammonia is high. I actually use bottled Poland spring gallons instead of tap water. So there isn't any chlorine or anything wrong with the water that is being put in.
Also the Dalmatian Molly is the only fish in the tank right now, aside from snails. We got a bigger tank which we moved everyone else into, but I didn't want to move the Dalmatian Molly with his eye problem. He's still active and doesn't act weird, but the eyes are clearly big.

Okay so I got some Api Quick Start because it's supposed to reduce the ammonia. I didn't put it in yet though. I also went to a local pet store and asked what treats pop-eye and he said amoxicillin treats it, so I ordered some fish amoxycillin online but im not sure when it will arrive. For now I guess I'll just continue with the kanaplex. It say to only dose every 2 days and I just dosed yesterday so I won't put any in tonight.

Back
Top Bottom