Molly with red patches?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cyndi713

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 55 gallon well-established mildly-brackish tank (1.010-1.015 SG). I did a 20% partial water replacement 3 days ago. Today my balloon molly is showing red patches between her pectoral and tail fin in the same spot on both sides. She is showing no other symptoms, nor are any other fish. She had 7 fry on July 24. All tests show my levels are fine. Tank has 78F temp. Anyone have any ideas? I know of hemorrhagic septicemia, but my ammonia levels are fine. What else could it be? These patches are EXACTLY the same on both sides, and nowhere else. I don't know how to describe them, except that they look like abrasions or bright red burst blood vessels under the scales (I know, I know... hemorraghing) but the symmetry and lack of symptoms in my other mollies and fish? And I JUST did a partial and am OCD about my water levels.

Any advice?

Thanks in advance. :)

Cyndi, dont put septicemia on the back burner, I lost some of my best fish doing that, id treat for the septicemia. Ive never seen any other symptoms of red other then septi.

I would have to agree that if it were my fish I would treat for septcemia as well. If you have pictures it would be helpful.

Treated...

I went ahead and treated for septi. She seems to be just fine now! And my levels are all still spot-on. Now my white Molly (just a regular white Molly) is acting very odd. She's swimming here and there, but a lot of the time allows herself to be pulled by the water tail up. She's also "breathing" very hard, as her gills are large and with each breath! NOW WHAT? I've never had problems with any of my fish before.

Two weeks ago I did find an extremely small parasite (worm) in my tank swimming freely. I treated for the septi first as it seemed to be the immediate threat, did a 20% partial after 4 days, then ran new filter cartridges for two days, made sure my levels were good, then added parasite treament (this was yesterday). I should note that the white Molly has been acting like this for about a week, but it started real mild and thought she may be close to giving birth. Now it's just gotten worse and am afraid she may be dying.

Any ideas?

Do you have an airstone in the tank? She is pregnant I assume? Has she been eating at all? She may be constipated. Try feeding a frozen pea. Nuke for a couple of seconds and peel and make into bite sized portions. It can't hurt that is for sure.

Back
Top Bottom