Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-13-2009, 01:51 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Molly with red patches?

I have a 55 gallon well-established mildly-brackish tank (1.010-1.015 SG). I did a 20% partial water replacement 3 days ago. Today my balloon molly is showing red patches between her pectoral and tail fin in the same spot on both sides. She is showing no other symptoms, nor are any other fish. She had 7 fry on July 24. All tests show my levels are fine. Tank has 78F temp. Anyone have any ideas? I know of hemorrhagic septicemia, but my ammonia levels are fine. What else could it be? These patches are EXACTLY the same on both sides, and nowhere else. I don't know how to describe them, except that they look like abrasions or bright red burst blood vessels under the scales (I know, I know... hemorraghing) but the symmetry and lack of symptoms in my other mollies and fish? And I JUST did a partial and am OCD about my water levels.

Any advice?

Thanks in advance.

Old 08-19-2009, 12:15 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Is she still eating and acting normal otherwise?

Old 08-19-2009, 12:20 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Cyndi, dont put septicemia on the back burner, I lost some of my best fish doing that, id treat for the septicemia. Ive never seen any other symptoms of red other then septi.
Old 08-19-2009, 05:57 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Send a message via MSN to Zagz
I would have to agree that if it were my fish I would treat for septcemia as well. If you have pictures it would be helpful.

-----------
Site Administrator
Zagz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 05:30 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Exclamation Treated...

I went ahead and treated for septi. She seems to be just fine now! And my levels are all still spot-on. Now my white Molly (just a regular white Molly) is acting very odd. She's swimming here and there, but a lot of the time allows herself to be pulled by the water tail up. She's also "breathing" very hard, as her gills are large and with each breath! NOW WHAT? I've never had problems with any of my fish before.

Two weeks ago I did find an extremely small parasite (worm) in my tank swimming freely. I treated for the septi first as it seemed to be the immediate threat, did a 20% partial after 4 days, then ran new filter cartridges for two days, made sure my levels were good, then added parasite treament (this was yesterday). I should note that the white Molly has been acting like this for about a week, but it started real mild and thought she may be close to giving birth. Now it's just gotten worse and am afraid she may be dying.

Any ideas?
Old 08-24-2009, 07:46 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Send a message via MSN to Zagz
Do you have an airstone in the tank? She is pregnant I assume? Has she been eating at all? She may be constipated. Try feeding a frozen pea. Nuke for a couple of seconds and peel and make into bite sized portions. It can't hurt that is for sure.

-----------
Site Administrator
Zagz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blood spots, molly, red patches

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com