Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-16-2007, 09:59 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to black hills tj Send a message via MSN to black hills tj Send a message via Yahoo to black hills tj
More Bushy Nosed Pleco Problems

Well...woke up this morning and my bushy nose pleco had a gash on its side with a white cloud of bacteria or fungus of some sort on it. Strange thing is...none of my other fish ever go near it and are not aggressive at all. He's breathing really heavy still as well. I placed him in the best quarantine I could setup. A 1 gallon bucket with an airstone. Put my thermometer in there so I can attempt to keep it warm. I also added a small amount of melafix. Would it be an alright idea to place a heating pad below it on low?

Next time I get a new fish I'll make sure its been at the pet store before a while before I purchase it

https://www.bhtj.net
black hills tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 01:40 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
Was the "cloud" like a cottony mass? If so, that's a funal infection. Plecos can get injured any number of ways, usually scrapes from aquarium decorations. I would add a very small, low dose (probably half of the reccomened dose) of quick cure, malachite green, or methylene blue to kill the fungus. Clean water also goes a long way in combating it, so some frequent water changes until the sore heals would be a good idea. You may also want to look into the areas where the pleco likes to hide, and make sure nothing sharp is around.

HTH

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 01:44 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to black hills tj Send a message via MSN to black hills tj Send a message via Yahoo to black hills tj
I've "quarantined" the pleco to prevent my other fish from nipping at his wounds. Yes it did look like a cottony mass. I added a little melafix to my "quarantine tank" which is a 1g bucket, air pump/bubble stone, and a heat lamp.

Do you think its safe to leave him in my actual tank?

Also the part about him hiding...well he doesn't really hide. As a matter of fact he seems to be really sluggish and lazy...ALL THE TIME. He's acted this way since I brought him home from the LFS last week.

Old 04-17-2007, 01:54 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
Melafix won't do much, if anything, to heal him up. It's an anti0bacterial. If you can, add some Pimafix into the mix, which is an anti-fungal. I think it's safe to leave him in the tank and treat that way. It sounds like conditions might be more favorable that way. Fungal infections like your pleco has generally aren't contagious, because it's more of a reaction to an open sore.

Can you see the pleco eating at all?

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 01:56 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I haven't really seen him "suck" onto much at all. I put half an algae wafer in the quarantine tank so to speak and he doesn't seem to be interested in it. So you think I should return him to the tank and dose pimafix for a little while?

Update...bushy nose pleco passed away overnight. The LFS swapped me two golden algae eaters for him.

Tags
bushy, pleco

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com