Most of my fish are sick( ich/fin rot/ cotton wool)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

extremebunny

Aquarium Advice Activist
3 of my white skirt tetras died and 2 of my platties. The remaining platy and tetra along with my dwarf gouramis have ich (my 2 catfish do not). I have not cleaned the water in a few weeks because I put 1 month ich medicine in the water. Problem is, this may have caused problems with one of my dwarf gouramis. He is in isolation because the other fish started nipping at his fins (.5 g isolation tank, he isn't swimming much and it's all I have), I think he has fin rot and cotton wool disease. I have put a little bit of salt in the water and made sure it is clean, although i don't want to mess with it too much as he is clearly unwell. Is there anything else I can do without buying medicine and how long will it take to heal?

i would ease up on the medicines. Get a UV sterilizer to purify your aquarium water and to kill the diseases.

2nd, i would get some polyfilter such as this:
1482963749707.jpg

place the poly filter in whatever filter you have. it will begin to immediately clean your aquarium of chemicals.

the uv will knock out those diseases. you're racing agianst the clock here. UV soon as possible.

Thanks, I will try that. What about my dwarf gourami, though? he is in an isolation tank not big enough to put anything else in it like a filter or sterilizer, but I don't want to risk him getting hurt or spreading diseases( he is the only one with fin rot and cotton wool) if I put him back in the main tank

the gourami not eating is sign of illness yes. just keep him quarantined with ich treatment as you work to clean main aquarium.

Back
Top Bottom