Mouth fungus, i think.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gsdsar

Aquarium Advice Activist
About 1/3 of my fish in my 55g have a white blurb on either the top or bottom of their mouth. They are all eating, very active, very colorful. I have been treating, for 6 days with Melafix/Pimafix. It has stayed about the same, maybe a bit better.

Tank is a 55g. Moderately planted. Dual T5HO. Stock: 3 boesmani, 3Turquois Rainbows, 4 Goyder River Rainbows, 2 banded rainbows( so I was told but I have my doubts), and one very small clown loach( very poor impulse purchase who will be rehomed)

Parameters:

PH 7.8
Ammonia 0
NitrItes 0
Nitrates 40

The tank has been set up for about 1 month. Used seeded filter material. Had a short cycle. I had planned on cycling it with my 2 female Boes and my 2 " banded" rainbows. But my two male Boes, left in the old tank started fighting, so I made the rash decision to move the rest if my stock, save one male Boes, to the new tank.

I went through a shortened cycle. Regular PWC. No fish loss. But I did get this mouth stuff

I am not sure what my next step should be. Furan 2 was recommended. But I read it can kill BB. And in a new tank, I would hate to have to recycle my tank.

Help please. Should I treat longer with the Mela/Pima? Just do lots if PWC? Treat with something else?

Thank you. I am attaching a few pics. It is better than this now.

Attachments

• image-488235790.jpg
    image-488235790.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 59
  • image-12376295.jpg
    image-12376295.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 62
  • image-808440181.jpg
    image-808440181.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 62
Does it look like cotton over the mouth and gills? I didn't want to recycle my tank when I had mouth fungus, either, and used tea tree oil with added aquarium salt (it was fairly successful and I only had one loss). Good luck!

Nothing on the gills. Just the mouth. It's just weird. Going to go to my LFS today and see if they have any ideas.

Much better. I did end up buying something from LFS. But I wanted to finish out the Nela/Pima treatment and do a good water change before medicating again. And, well , it's gone. So go figure. Guess I just did not give it enough time??

Thanks got asking!!!

Back
Top Bottom