my balloon molly has dropsy help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

krap101

Aquarium Advice Addict
i went on vacation and came home 2 days ago. and i didnt really check for diseases since i didnt add any new fish. i looked at my fish today when i was feeding them and saw my balloon molly. at first i thought it was pregnant but than i saw the scales sticking out. i dont have a quarentine tank. what should i do? i dont have any medication for dropsy (i dont think)

its eating okay and still waddles around like balloon mollies do. but im worried about her and am afraid it'll spread to the rest of my fish.

unfortunately dropsy is said to be incurable and fatal as it is an internal infection.
You can try Kanamycin sulfate but it may not help.

... i have it in a cup thingy inside a breeding net so it wont be able to spread. i dont think ill be able to go to the store anytime soon...

can anyone make any suggestions of how it got into my tank? is it possible for it go away in time?

oh yeah actually i do have a quarentine tank but it isnt fully mine. its my cousin's, aunts, uncles, other cousin's. their letting me borrow it until my older, younger cousin can take care of the fish. shes like 8.

Keep hoping! My friend recently took a dropsy- infected goldfish home from the lfs to save it, and I forget the name of the med but it's a common one. Anyway, she just bought a package of the medication, administered it patiently, and soon (about a week) the fish was almost completely well. Go get some dropsy meds! :|

will the dropsy meds kill the bacteria?

and isnt a 10 kinda small for 2 angels and 4 non dwarf gouramis? each gourami can get like 6 or sum inches and angels can get like around 6 but need more room because they have more depth.

Back
Top Bottom