My betta exploded?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So sorry! Make sure you clean really really well before you put anything else in there! May fisheys rest in peace :(

Can I reuse the tank water or will it have the parasites in it still?

The water will absolutely have parasites. Scrub that tank clean.

In the cases where I have had worms the simple cure is a parasite type medicine. Far easier and much cheaper and faster with a better guarantee, unless you bleach the system and all the decor and filter etc. and start right at the beginning with new water etc.

No scrubbing, just medicine, this will ensure any (if there are) survivors will also be given a "health check"

I strongly advocate this practice in all new purchases, I have done since I arrived on this site. (It's what I do, with success)
Treat for internal and external bacterias and parasites not only to ensure the new stock are in good health but to safeguard any current stock you may have, this is also why I'm for a quarantine type facility. The medical process is shorter and cheaper than waiting out the lifespan of given "bug" in almost every case.
(Take extreme care when switching medicine, follow instructions to the letter)

Some bacteria and parasites can survive freezing and extremely hot temperatures, no amount of non destructive scrubbing will kill them unless you use something that targets the particular "bug"

Back
Top Bottom