My betta has dropsy! Need help!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mii

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
so a few days ago I found my betta was acting lethargic. Just laying at the bottom and occasionally coming up for air. Today I noticed he looked a little bloated and his scales where flaring out giving him a "pinecone" look. As these are all common symptoms of dropsy I determined that was what he had. I am going to move him to a "hospital tank". How do you treat dropsy? I've never had a fish get it before. I've heard some people use aquarium salt, how much do you put? Are there any medicines that work? Should I continue feeding as usual or stop? I really like him so really really really don't want to lose this fish.

I don't want to be a downer, but dropsy is an external sign of something seriously wrong, such as kidney failure. I'm not sure if one is really treating it, rather than just delaying the inevitable, but here is a page with some recommended treatments: 5+ Ways | How to Treat and Cure Fish Dropsy?

Also, here's a video on dropsy from an Australian vet specializing in treating fish. Fair warning, it's a bit graphic:

Back
Top Bottom