My Betta still wont eat?!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chookie14

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My Betta isnt eating??

Hey guys,

Got my new Betta 3 days ago, and following shop advice I fed him one pellet for the first time this morning. He must have smelt it because he swam right up to it and nudged it with its nose, but wasn't interested and swam away soon after. After 10 minutes or so I removed the pellet, not wanting it to rot and build up ammonia. Earlier this evening I gave him one more, with the same result. He noticed it, but would not eat. This time I have left the pellet in there in the hopes he will be tempted eventually. Does anyone have any ideas why he may be acting this way?

Thanks!

How big is the betta? I had one too small to eat the pellets. Maybe try flakes. He might like those better. I'd say first make sure he's not clamping his fins. That says to a betta owner that he's not happy. See if he has any strange marks or discoloration on his body. He could be sick.

Hey guys,

Got my new Betta 3 days ago, and following shop advice I fed him one pellet for the first time this morning. He must have smelt it because he swam right up to it and nudged it with its nose, but wasn't interested and swam away soon after. After 10 minutes or so I removed the pellet, not wanting it to rot and build up ammonia. Earlier this evening I gave him one more, with the same result. He noticed it, but would not eat. This time I have left the pellet in there in the hopes he will be tempted eventually. Does anyone have any ideas why he may be acting this way?

Thanks!

Bettas can be picky eaters. First, what size tank, filtered, heated? How long has it been set up, was it properly cycled before adding him or are you doing a fish IN cycle? Water parameters can effect their appetite. What type of pellets are you feeding? Try breaking them up or soaking them 1st. You may have to switch brands, I've been feeding New Life Spectrum, they're smaller & one of the better quality foods. I have one Betta that can't eat pellets for some reason so he gets Omega One flakes.

Ok, so I've had my Betta for almost a week now, and he still refuses to eat anything. I've changed his food (he is now on spectrum community formula pellets- what the shop fed him on) but still nothing. He is really active and I can see no signs of discolouration, but he doesn't eat which worries me. I have been told they should be aggressive eaters due to their natural habitat, so it's even weirder that he will just let the food rot. Please, any advice would be appreciated.

Have you tried flake? My guy refused pellet,s even though he ate them at my lfs. Mine also loves frozen brine shrimp just a small pinch.

no need to worry... I had a betta that didn't eat for 3 weeks!!!! It was nerve racking.. I tried every day to feed him but no luck.... then 3 weeks after we got him he finally started chowing down.

Two similar threads merged.

A week for a new betta isn't uncommon. They can easily go that long without food. If you answer the questions other members have asked then we will be able to help more.

Okay it's not heated or filtered, just a 5 gallon tank. Yesterday he ate a pellet, hasn't eat anything since though. He is really quite big, I don't think being too small is a problem! His fins are not clamped, as I said he is really active, not hiding or anything, so it's really weird behaviour. I got the water tested at the shop I got him from, and all the parameters are spot on, so I'm not really sure what the problem could be. Any ideas?

Bettas really need their tank to have a filter & heater, they prefer warmer temps. A filter will also help keep his water cleaner & stop build up of ammonia, nitrite & nitrate.

Unless you keep your house 78 degrees all year long, he needs a heater and a filter. A HEATER most definitely, cold water makes his immune system slow, more likely to catch something, can also slow him eating. He comes from a tropical climate, he needs tropical temps. Think about plucking a Floridian from Miami and dropping him in Alaska with no blanket. He ain't going to survive long. You have to meet their needs. I got this heater for 20 bucks, free shipping if you try PRIME. I have this in my 5 gallon.

Amazon.com: Hydor Usa Inc AHY00322 Theo 25-Watt Submersible Shatterproof Heater, 7-Inch: Pet Supplies

If pellets and flakes don't work try live food
Like adult brine shrimp or black worms
Or frozen food, also mosquito larvae is a favorite for Bettas so if you get a chance try them with your betta

Back
Top Bottom