My betta was attacked!!!!! Please respond immediatly!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

EthanBeltramo

Aquarium Advice Freak
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1413238168.923493.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1413238214.893025.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1413238243.022530.jpg

I just recently got a ten gallon tank with lots of plants. I have a betta, nerite snail, and a Cory cat. I went to petco and the guy said that 3 black skirt tetras would do fine with a betta, as long as it is a ten gallon tank. I went ahead and bought them. I stuck the bag in the tank first, the betta didn't notice. I released them and they were fine. The betta flared at first, but then left them alone. One of the tetras seems more aggressive and stays away from the other two tetras, occasionally chasing them. He also hogs all of the food. I watched the tank for the rest of the day and fish were fine. In the morning, they were fine. I went to school, coming home to find my betta hiding and his fins are ripped away. Is there a possibility that the filter did this? He is currently in a too small tank, and is very unactive. I feel so bad! Should I return the agrresive tetra?? I've heard that adding more tetras should get rid of their aggresion. Is this true??? Please don't tell me that bettas can't go with other fish, because I know that is not true. I will keep my betta in his "hospital" tank until his fins are back. Please reply soon!!

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

View attachment 252788View attachment 252789View attachment 252790

I just recently got a ten gallon tank with lots of plants. I have a betta, nerite snail, and a Cory cat. I went to petco and the guy said that 3 black skirt tetras would do fine with a betta, as long as it is a ten gallon tank. I went ahead and bought them. I stuck the bag in the tank first, the betta didn't notice. I released them and they were fine. The betta flared at first, but then left them alone. One of the tetras seems more aggressive and stays away from the other two tetras, occasionally chasing them. He also hogs all of the food. I watched the tank for the rest of the day and fish were fine. In the morning, they were fine. I went to school, coming home to find my betta hiding and his fins are ripped away. Is there a possibility that the filter did this? He is currently in a too small tank, and is very unactive. I feel so bad! Should I return the agrresive tetra?? I've heard that adding more tetras should get rid of their aggresion. Is this true??? Please don't tell me that bettas can't go with other fish, because I know that is not true. I will keep my betta in his "hospital" tank until his fins are back. Please reply soon!!

Bring back the black skirt tetras and get more corydoras. The black skirts are nippy and took large and active for a 10 gallon. And corydoras like to be in groups.

Thanks. I want some bigger middle level fish to add more varriety to my tank. I will get another cat, but want something besides shrimp, cats, frogs, and snails

Unfortunately, one more cory cat still probably isn't enough. I would say 2 more at least. And worse than that, that would prettymuch leave your 10 gallon about fully stocked. And I wouldn't risk putting more midwater fish in with a betta.

:( I really want some middle level fish like red eyes. The guy at petco said he cat is fine alone. He seems happy. He is a Julii Cory catfish

:( I really want some middle level fish like red eyes. The guy at petco said he cat is fine alone. He seems happy. He is a Julii Cory catfish

I promise you, the guy at petco has no clue what he's talking about. Corydoras are schooling catfish and need to be in groups to be happy. And a 10 gallon won't support much more than a few corydoras and a betta.

Can I add fish without my betta. I can keep him in his hospital tank

I will probably get a new one. Unfortunately, I sold my 2.5 gallon one yesterday. Right now, my poor betta is in a tiny betta bowl that looks about the size of the cup that he came in.

I will probably get a new one. Unfortunately, I sold my 2.5 gallon one yesterday. Right now, my poor betta is in a tiny betta bowl that looks about the size of the cup that he came in.

Yeah that's WAY too small. A 3-5 gallon tank would be good for a betta. But keep in mind, a 10 gallon tank is tiny, too small for much really. I wouldn't put more than, say, 3 guppies. Or 5 ember tetras. It's just too easy for the parameters to get out of wack.

Personally, I would stick with the betta and like 3 more corydoras in the 10. Then save up for a bigger tank to get more of the fish you want.

Can a betta go with 3 corgies in a five gallon?

Ok. Can I. Put my betta back in the 10 gallon and get 2 more tetras to reduce the aggresion??

No, black skirt tetras are too big and active for a 10 gallon tank. In fact, most fish are too big and/or active for a 10 gallon tank. Unless you get a bigger tank than 10 gallons you should return the tetras.

Ok :( what else can go with a betta

That depends a whole lot on the tank. In the 10 gallon? You need to add more corydoras for them to be happy. In a 5 gallon? Prettymuch no room for any other fish. The only way you can put more fish with a betta is in a larger tank.

The only other option I can think of is if you got rid of the corydoras and the tetras, you could get some white cloud mountain minnows and those might work nicely. Or some ember tetras.

Nothing in a ten unless you want an unhealthy and overstocked tank with stressed fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Also, Ever since I removed betta, my tetras are hiding like they know what they did to my poor betta. They were really active yesterday ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1413241711.170316.jpg

Another possible option if you removed the corydoras is khuli loaches, but they are also bottomdwellers and tend to hide.

Back
Top Bottom