My Catfish White Patches?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

raphael.catfish

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Dear Aquarium Advice Forum,

My Raphael Catfish has 'white patches' on his side, above his two back fins. It doesn't appear to be ick. He acts normal; always hiding under his rock-cave. He is 4 years old.
The 55 gallon has been running for 4 years. I've tested the water perimeter (with API master-test-kit) just now, and they are all good. He eats Hikari frozen blood-worms, occasional tropical flakes.

Does anyone have an idea what disease this is? I have attached a picture. Is it possibly Columnaris? Or scratches from his rock-cave? Heater burn?

Thank you.

Attachments

• Sick_Catfishy.jpg
    Sick_Catfishy.jpg
    214.9 KB · Views: 305
Is this only on his one side? Does it look fuzzy or cottony in appearance? If not, I would suspect possible scratches from his cave. The rock he is on does look quite sharp & perhaps where he hides has gotten too small for him. I would watch to see if this changes in appearance (spreads, gets red or inflamed, discolored, etc) or if his behavior changes and let us know if it does. Fish can heal quite well on their own with healthy water.

Hello

Is this only on his one side? Does it look fuzzy or cottony in appearance? If not, I would suspect possible scratches from his cave. The rock he is on does look quite sharp & perhaps where he hides has gotten too small for him. I would watch to see if this changes in appearance (spreads, gets red or inflamed, discolored, etc) or if his behavior changes and let us know if it does. Fish can heal quite well on their own with healthy water.

It is on both sides. It feels smooth, just like the rest of himself, doesn't look fuzzy or cottony.

I was thinking maybe he isn't eating much, and its his stomach? Or bottom-side? It's the same color as the very bottom of his body.

I should look into upgrading his home. Thank you for the advice.

I added API Stresscoat.

Not having a fuzzy or cottony appearance is a good thing! Rules out collumnaris & most fungal diseases. He also may be just changing color as he ages if it matches the color of his stomach. Glad your going to upgrade his home! Just keep an eye on him & let us know if anything changes! :)

Back
Top Bottom