My DG....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dkpate

Aquarium Advice Addict
:(
So 3 days ago my dwarf gourami stopped eating. I am not sure what's wrong with him, but he keeps sinking to the bottom and he is not being himself. I have had him since September.

Water:
78*
0 ammonia
0 nitrites
5 nitrates
Filter and a bubble wand
20G tall tank

Nothing in the tank has changed, he is not bloated, he's actually skinny because he won't eat, his swim bladder is not swollen.
His scales are fine.
He has no weird spots or markings on him.
All of the other fish in the tank are fine (2 H. Rasboras and 6 K. loaches)
He usually breathes faster than he is right now.
He just seems tired.

I know he is not old, because he is twice the size he was when I got him. I caught him and stuck him in this little mesh box that I made so he didn't have to go so far to the surface for air.

Any help/ideas are greatly appreciated! :confused:

Have you added any new additions to the tank recently? It could be internal parasites, however if you have not added any new additions to the tank, it seems to me that symptoms would have surfaced before now.

Nope, nothing new, no one new. That is why I am so stumped.
I haven't sprayed any air fresheners or anything.

See if he eats something with garlic guard or similar product on it. You can get crush garlic at the store and use some of the liquid off that if it isn't preserved in oil. That might help get him to want to eat.

Gourami disease was really bad a couple of years ago especially when the weather was warmer I read about a lot of people having issues with it.
FA30/FA035: Iridovirus in Gouramis The main clue is the fish rocking back and forth near the bottom of the tank..

Update:
He is worse now, and I don't think he will be alive when I get home from work. He can barely keep himself upright anymore, he just falls to his side....I am heartbroken, even though he was my mean one.
They don't have any clove oil at the store here, so I wasn't able to put him down. I feel terrible....I don't want to put him in the freezer, because I just can't. I know he is suffering now, but I still can't do the freezer thing. :(
If he is still alive when I get home, I will try the garlic trick, but he won't even LOOK at the food I put in for him. Poor baby.
Thanks for trying to help guys and gals, I appreciate it.

Thanks for the article Joy!

Well, he didn't make it. He died last night. Even though he was my mean fish, I am still sad....
I also got some new endlers! I will try to get some pics in the next few days.

:( poor little boy! Sorry he died.. especially since noone can diagnose the problem. Bubbles is still sick and its so annoying not knowing whats wrong with him!.. he just sits right into my stem plant bunches so he doesn't have to swim.

yeah he still has the spots.. a couple of days ago it was pretty bad and the spots seemed raised. There is less now and i think its a type of fungus so hopefully the pimafix will do its job. He is just a little sicky boy atm just floating in the plants looking all miserable or swimming with 1 fin clamped but when i talk to him or when its food time he starts swimming properly and happy. I think hes milking this sick buisness ;)

how are your new fishys going?

He seems like a little attention getter LOL! He still cracks me up! I hope the Pimafix works for you!!!

The new fish are doing well, they are SOOOOO funny!!! I always thought guppy type fish would be boring, but I love them! They get in the bubble stream and shoot themselves to the top of the water, (good thing there's a hood on there HAHAHA). And they are always checking out the new snails, which is pretty funny because the snails are like 100 times bigger than them.

Back
Top Bottom