My Fantail Goldfish...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chrisjg04

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey everyone, for some time (months) my fantail goldfish has had a fleshy growth sort of thing over his eye sort of resembling an eyebrow. I put him on melafix and pimafix for 10 days with no results. I then talked to my friend who works at a local fish store and he said that he had most probably bumped into something in the tank and there was nothing I could do.

I am off away at college now and my girlfriend just came to visit me this weekend, she informed me that his eye had gotten much worse and his "eyebrow" is beginning to cover his eye. She also said it was white and described it as a barnacle.

He has been swimming and eating fine the whole time, however I am starting to worry and think this may not just be a bump and something more serious.

I have looked into eye diseases and found nothing of this sort, I don't believe it to be pop-eye as it looks nothing like the pictures that I have seen of it.

Does anyone have any idea what this may be, I would love to figure this out and help my poor fish is at all possible
frown.gif

1~What type of fish is afflicted? In addition, please describe what is wrong with the fish to the best of your ability (i.e. cotton like growth, bloated, etc.). Fantail Goldfish, Fleshy like growth over his eye (see pictures)
2~What are your tank parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, temp, pH)? Please give exact values. Not sure, as I am away from the tank at college.
3~ How large is the tank? How long has the tank been set up? 10g, over a year
4~What type of filtration are you using? Please give the name and number (i.e. Fluval 304) and amount of gph if known. Topfin 10
5~How many fish are in the tank? What kinds of fish are they and what are their current sizes? Oranda Goldfish - 6 inches, Fantail Goldfish - 3 inches, Common pleco - 4 inches (Need to upgrade I know, and Pleco has gotta go)
6~When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel? How often do you do this? How much water do you remove at a time? Last week, done once a month changing 25 - 30% of water
7~How long have you had the fish? If the fish is new, how did you acclimate it/them? Fish have been in tank for over a year, acclimated by floating bags.
8~Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.? none
9~What kind of food have you been feeding your fish, have you changed their diet recently? Floating goldfish pellets, algae wafers.

img_905372_1_28274f8db33ec0b327c7ab3965e71480.jpg

img_905372_2_3cabce9ec3aed26acb03d055ca99fcf8.jpg

Can you get a better picture? Those are too blurry to make out much.

Is the white part raised? (a pic of the other side to compare would be nice.) The pics almost looks like it is just the eye socket losing color rather than a tumor ..... but it is hard to tell.

And water parameters are always nice .... 2 big goldfish in a 10 g is crowded and my 1st suspect is always a water quality problem.

Ill be getting better pictures in the new few days.

The white part is raised out, its beggning to overlap over his eye.

I will post water parameters as soon as I can, this fish is in my hometown and I am away so it might be some time before I can get them.

Back
Top Bottom