my female guppy becomes so skinny overnight, what happened?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

arrow1234

Aquarium Advice Regular
hello veryone~
ok something is really wrong for me, this morning when i woke up, i noticed my female guppy (i have her for 9 months) is so skinny. her tummy is almost gone but she used to a have big belly :p.

i suspect some other fish bite her belly out but i checked her and there is no wound at all, and she is still very fine now
so imagine when you look at my fish from her front, she looked like"●" but now shes like"▼"this....what happened-__-

oh...forgot to say,the first time i looked at her this morning she was upside down at bottom, she couldnt balance her weigh??? please someone tell me whats going on

thank you

Is she in a tank with a male livebearer? It sounds to me like she was pregnant and dropped her fry. She's now in the post-drop phase where she looks like she's hollowed out, if that's the case. If so, she'll start eating again and put on a bit of her own weight again, most likely, though I've had a few that didn't survive the post-drop stage.

It is possible she was pregnant and did drop fry. Check closely around the tank for any babies. But depending on what other tankmates, fry may not survive. If it happened overnight it would be most likely she had babies.

wow good to know
hmm yes i did have a male guppy before, but he died 3 months ago.
i am sure there is no fry, i think other tankmate may eat them all , darn...

about the postdrop status, you meant u ever had the mother died after giving birth? if so, sorry to hear that :(

i just checked my tank again, and i couldnt find any fry, how big are they? u think they can be seen by humans eyes?

thank you

I agree with the rest. It sounds like she was pregnant and gave birth. how long have you kept Guppies?

The fry are small but still easy to see. They may be hiding or they may have been eaten. Livebearer's can store sperm for several months so you may end up with more fry some time along the road.

if you don't have a lot of plants in the tank, then fry will sometimes hide in the gravel for a few days (the ones that didn't get eaten). You may also want to check your filter, as I've found quite a few in the sponge of my filters after a drop.

Back
Top Bottom