My first real freshwater tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

h8z2luze

Aquarium Advice Addict
Just wondering what the routine is for one. I am so into SW I am very lost with fresh. I am going to get a starter kit that is a 29 gallon. TIA.

The routines for a FW don't really differ by much. Naturally you need to set up your bacteria prior to any fish adding and levels must be maintained and checked regularly. I'm not quite sure what else you're interested in learning, so perhaps be a little more specific on what you need to know.

Well what type of levels need to be checked? How long does the sysle take? What are good starter fish? etc...

It's usually recommended to do a fishless cycle. If you choose to do a cycle with fish, I've heard zebra danios are good for that.
Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and pH are the main things that should be tested for.

The cycle can take anywhere from 3 to 6 weeks. You can also use a product called Bio-Spira to "instant cycle" your tank. It can be hit and miss but I thought it was worthwhile...Cycled my tank in about a week and a half. Others had it cycle their tank overnight.

Other stuff like using filter media from already established tanks can speed things up too, though not usually to the extent of Bio-Spira. :p

I would do a forum search on this stuff -- TONS of info to get lost in.

Pretty much the same. The difference comes when you are done. Nitrates are controlled simply by water changes, no live rock or anything to help reduce them. Unless you go for high light and heavy planting and even then you still have to change 50% of the water each week.

Back
Top Bottom