My fish are dying one by one.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Iamzod

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 250 Litre tank, nitrates are about 50-70 ppm, our tap water is 50ppm so getting lower isn't feasible.

Nitrites & Ammonia is at 0ppm, Ph is in the high 7's and my water temperature is 26.5c. Really can't see it being oxygen related as it's been fine for months with 2 large airstones, 1000lph spray bar & 1000lph power head moving the surface. Substrate is sand.

Tank inhabitants seem to keep dying at a rate of 1-2 fish per day, it started when I added a pair of Dwarf Gourami, one of which died 3-4 days later.

Zebra Danios are hanging around looking like they are constantly nibbling & some are red around gills & anus, also lost some Kuhli loach, many of which look like they are gasping saw 2 last night sat on top of the powerhead with their heads at the surface, 1 is dead this morning, some of them when i can see them are red around gills.

I've seperated what I can catch into a hospital tank of the Danios & Kuhli, one Danio had his eyes go funny, like white blobs then die & one now has tattered tail but is still wimming.

A friend suggested a parasite med called Praziquantel i think it's called, 1st dose went in 15 hours ago. I have Vampire & Amano shrimp so options are limited.

Anyone else got any suggestions?

So far the shrimp and Otto's in there seem unsffected, there is also a Green Phantom Pleco and he is still doing his thing for now.

Sounds like ammonia to me. Nitrates are the smoking gun of previously high ammonia levels. So they may be reading 0ppm now (even though I would never trust a test kit) but they could have been elevated previously.

In any case the best course of action would be to change a large amount of water.

Been doing regular 30% changes, it's not ammonia, i've got 2 different kits & test every 3 days. Always 0ppm. 10 Danio, 8 Kuhli, 4 Tiny Otto & a baby Pleco couldn't produce an ammonia spike in a 250L tank if they tried, the filter is rated for 500L tanks too.

The tap water contains 55ppm Nitrate straight out of the tap, that's why i always have some.

It's definately an illness, just what?

Back
Top Bottom