My fish has ich, but I need help with the dose of Wunder Tonic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jed Fish

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My goldfish has ich, and I need to treat him ASAP, but I am so confused with the dose of Wunder Tonic. I have a 37L tank. The bottle says:

Add 1ml per 20L.
On day 3, make a 25% water change and add 1ml per 30L
On day 7, make a further 25% water change and add fresh activated carbon .

I am confused about the exact measurements for my tank. How many ml per 37L for day one, & how many for day 3? Also, what do I do from day 3-7? Do I continue adding a dose of the tonic, or nothing?

Would I be better off treating him with tonic salt? I can't let him die no no noo please help!!:(

My goldfish has ich, and I need to treat him ASAP, but I am so confused with the dose of Wunder Tonic. I have a 37L tank. The bottle says:

Add 1ml per 20L.

On day 3, make a 25% water change and add 1ml per 30L

On day 7, make a further 25% water change and add fresh activated carbon .

I am confused about the exact measurements for my tank. How many ml per 37L for day one, & how many for day 3? Also, what do I do from day 3-7? Do I continue adding a dose of the tonic, or nothing?

Would I be better off treating him with tonic salt? I can't let him die no no noo please help!!:(

Water change before you start.

Is that a 37 litre or 37 long tank?

You could try entering in details in aqadviser.

http://www.aqadvisor.com

Looks like dose on day 1 and day 3 only (not uncommon). Day 3 is a lighter dose as there would still be some meds left over from day 1.

Don't quote me on this but what I would do is raise the temp of the tank, and put aquarium salt in. It will fix your fish right up in my experience. Also turn the light off. I think to use the tonic you also have to tank the carbon out of the filter because otherwise the cure is useless.

Don't quote me on this but what I would do is raise the temp of the tank, and put aquarium salt in. It will fix your fish right up in my experience. Also turn the light off. I think to use the tonic you also have to tank the carbon out of the filter because otherwise the cure is useless.

We'll I did quote you :) but only because I agree with all you said. Not immediately, it takes a week or two.

Normally for tropical fish I'd gradually raise the temp to 84-86F, not sure if this is different for a cooler water goldfish.

Adding carbon on day 7 is just to remove the remaining meds, which will be done with your weekly large PWC.

Yeah, kind of need a goldfish expert here. I don't think you can raise temp, particularly if not a common goldfish.

This is the info I've compiled for ich and goldfish and salt. To be taken with a grain of well, salt. Would be nice to get it checked by an expert.

'A 3ppT or 5 ppT (parts per thousand) salt solution is equivalent to 0.3% or 0.5% salinity, or 3 or 5 grams per liter, or 3 or 5 teaspoons of salt per gallon (3 tsp = 11.4 gm/gal). This is the standard recommendation for salt treatment for skin parasites and for Ich. A level tablespoon is equivalent to three level teaspoons US/UK (4 aust).'

Apparently here in Australia, our tablespoons are bigger. Learn something new every day. :)

Heat treatment for ich isn't recommended for goldfish sadly. I'm also not certain of what level of salt alone will kill it.

No, same here - will have to do a search on jlk's posts on this tonight. I struggle with converting to US and %'s vs weights so need to sit down and work it all out anyways.

OP did you work out tank size? If you have plants in DT that will be treated the salt will knock those off.

Back
Top Bottom