My fish has swim bladder disease! What do I do?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Yodlem

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm almost 100% sure she has it. She has trouble swimming up, and always faces down if not vertically to the ground. She also has a hard time trying to swim away: it was very easy to catch her in a net b/c she could not swim well.

Two days ago, her skin looked as if some of it got scraped off or something, and it was whitish colored, but that's gone

what do I do?

ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, all 0ppm since 3.11.07
temp: around 77 degrees
see 'myinfo' for extra info not mentioned here
last water change was two weeks ago (I change 25% the water every two weeks, so that means this week i change it, and i did a vacuum clean at the same time too.)

Which fish is it? Is the fish bloated at all, if so, do the scales stick out from the fish? Out of curiosity what kind of test kit are you using?

the API freshwater master kit one, some of the scales seem to be jutting out a little bit.

It's the female platy

If the scales are starting to stick out, I would be concerned it is dropsy. Can you post a pic? I would QT the fish immediately and add some epsom salts to the water for starters and try feeding some frozen peas. Epsom salts to help relieve the fluid build up, and the peas in case of constipation.

Unusual for the nitrates are 0ppm when your tank has been set up for a year. Esp. since you haven't done a water change for 2 weeks. Anything new or added to the tank? Any major filter cleanings? I would take a sample of water to the lfs to have them test and confirm your results. It may be the test kits you are using are old, and giving inaccurate readings. Dropsy isn't an illness on it's own, rather a result of other conditions. It is extremely difficult to cure.

It's just a little bit sticking out, but she's getting worse

I'm not sure if it's old, because I just bought it. On that exact day too.

I'm not sure if she has dropsy though because she isn't buldging that much...but i'll post a picture as soon as possible

where can I get an epsom salt? and i tried feeding it peas already, but i'm not sure how i can feed her effectively. but i'll try again.

Here are some pictures. :

img6268xx9.jpg

img6267uu5.jpg

I accidently freaked her out a bit when i was taking pictures...which isn't helping the case
Sorry they couldn't be any better, I didn't want to freak her out more.
I fear she won't last to tomorrow...

Oh it's too late...found her this morning floating vertically

Back
Top Bottom