My fish keep dying..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ksedore

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am reaching out to see if someone has any ideas to help me. I started my fish journey a little over a year ago. I didn't know a whole lot when I started but researched enough to get through. I set up a 30 gal tank and had probably 10 fish. I had them for about 9 months losing a couple along the way for unknown reasons. Didn't really think too much of it because they wouldn't die within a close time range. However, I then decided to add a few more fish to my tank, did everything the same. Every one of them died within 3 weeks. I searched the internet and the best thing I came up with was white spot disease. So I completely cleaned out my tank and re-cycled it waiting about a month before I added new fish. After I restocked it, all 7 died within 2-3 weeks with the same symptoms the last ones had. They had what looks like white grains of sand on them, and then would become lethargic and just not act right, and then die. I did treat the fish for a week with medication, with no success. So I decided to try again. I once again completely cleaned out my tank. This time getting all new decor/plants/rocks everything. I let it cycle for a few weeks before adding 3 mollies right at 2 weeks ago. My last mollie died last night with the same symptoms. I am at a loss on what to do. I'm about to just give up on having fish because I don't know how to fix it and don't want to continue killing fish or spending money on it. Some things I will note from reading other threads: 1. My water seems to be fine. I have tested it multiple times and everything is reading within normal parameters. I assumed the water was the issue. 2. I add the water conditioner regularly along with partial water changes. 3. My temperature is steady and fine. 4. I add the anti-stress supplement when adding new fish. 5. I have bought fish from multiple places. Any suggestions would be appreciated!!

Sounds like ick. Not sure why it happened again after the entire tank clean. Did you change the gravel or clean it really well when you cleaned out the tank?

Sounds like ick to me too. If you're fishless at the moment it would be worth breaking everything down and cleaning it with bleach. Including filters.

Another option is to run your tank empty at 86 degrees and do 20% daily water changes with a gravel vac. Continue this regime for a couple weeks. Or you could buy a product like Rid Ich Plus and run it in your tank per instructions.

The first tank clean I just cleaned everything really well, this last one I bought all new stuff to put in it and cleaned it before putting it in. I couldn’t come up with anything other than Ick that fits the symptoms.

Will definitely look around for that product. I live in a small town so nowhere carries it but I’ll check out online. Thanks!

Up the temperature for ich!

I learnt that here.....no meds needed.
Make sure the fish can take it!
Increase oxygen, as you increase temperature.

If the tank is fishless, ich will not reproduce as they need a host organism.

Back
Top Bottom