my fish's tail is gone!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

juliepat

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Yesterday I noticed that my catfish's tail was half gone! It's not tail rot, as that starts at the end, and it jagged. I have no idea what it is.

first, the botton half of his tail was gone, now today, there's about 1/10 of it left on the top. It's not disappearing from the end up, but rather from the whole bottom of it, and up. He's almost got a hole on his body, where his tail used to be attached.

I treated the aquarium with Jungle fungus eliminator, but I have no idea if it's a fungus, or what on earth it is. he's still alive, though struggles to swim, but being a catfish, he lays on the bottom most of the time anyways.

I'm panicking, as I've had him for over a year.
Does anyone have a clue as to what this could be, or what else I should be doing to get rid of it?? will his tail grow back???
thanks so much.
Julie

Hi juliepat,

Could it be that something in your tank is "taste-testing" your catfish?

What does your catfish have for tankmates?

his tail isn't being nibbled at... it's like it split in half lengthwise, and boom...the bottom half is gone. now in one day, most of the top half is gone too.

The other fish in the tank are neons, platties, white clouds, and striped tetras. They're all very friendly fish.

The catfish stays on the bottom, and the other fish don't even notice he's there, so I doubt they'd nibble at him.

I feel so so bad for my poor catfish. If there are any ideas or suggestions at all...please let me know.
Julie

Back
Top Bottom