My Ghost knife fish Wont Heal after injury- SOS!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sustainableaqua

Aquarium Advice Newbie
my ghost knife fish got stuck in his old favorite decoration less than 2 weeks ago from when he was smaller which I kept in for my other fish.(have taken it out since)
I noticed he was missing and when I found him stuck, he became scared and started to thrash around and escaped through the too small hole in like 3 seconds it was very quick. Have been treating him with melafix. added half recommended salt to water in fear of oversalting due to his sensitivity and treated with stress coat. its been one round of melafix and today is the second day of the second round. Yesterday I treated his water with ich medication after researching his gash but now I have decided to reach out for help as i don't want it to get worse. please let me know if i have treated him incorrectly id just like help not criticism.

He has two large injuries and the bottom one is healing beautifully but one on the top part of his body seems to be getting worse and deeper somehow? I'm honestly not sure if hes been itching because his swimming pattern is always bizarre but my roommate who sees him everyday too thinks he has been itching. at the center of the gash it is white and sort of light pink around it and its raised at the white middle and the surrounding black skin but sinks in at the pink which is why i thought it was ich (white center on gash could possibly be fungal although its not growing like a fungal infection) . prior to that I hoped it was irritation and dead tissue. I want to know others more informed opinions. hes not lathargic at all he is his lively self.

GH : 60-120 CH: 120 pH: 7.0-7.5 N02&3: 0 temp: 26ish Celsius
the tank is a 35 gallon and has been set up a few weeks to a month.
using a 205 fluval filter.
the tank I moved knife fish into had a pregnant molly. I removed her when ghost got hurt but she birthed 6 days after his injury & I had to move her back in. she doesn't seem to bother him at all. also have two medium snails.
he shares his usual 55 gallon tank with 3 mollies, a pictus catfish, (they are always beside each other I'm not sure if this is friendly behavior or if they just enjoy the same areas) a scissortail rasbora, and an angel fish. there's been no bad blood between anyone and there's lots of places to hide.

Last water change was just a couple days ago. took 25% of water out after 7 days of meds as directed by melafix.
have had him since about august in 2020 hes about 5 inches or so.
have added a new snail last couple of weeks but I think this is unrelated. he just got stuck in his hide.
he eats bloodworms and enjoys my angelfish's cichlid flakes when they sink so I feed him a couple of those in his other tank with bloodworms. :thanks:

The melafix is a good antiseptic, it's not really a curative. More for prevention. You could try some antibiotics laced food to help ward off infections. Furan-2 is a sulpha drug and good for killing free floating bacteria in the water column. Most ich meds are good for killing fungal infections also. Read up on your label and see. Water changes often and your current treatment is good. Hopefully it starts to heal soon. Don't use the aloe stuff tho, it can cause more bacteria in the water due to it metabolizing into sugars

The melafix is a good antiseptic, it's not really a curative. More for prevention. You could try some antibiotics laced food to help ward off infections. Furan-2 is a sulpha drug and good for killing free floating bacteria in the water column. Most ich meds are good for killing fungal infections also. Read up on your label and see. Water changes often and your current treatment is good. Hopefully it starts to heal soon. Don't use the aloe stuff tho, it can cause more bacteria in the water due to it metabolizing into sugars
Thanks so much. i live in canada so i dont have access to Furan-2. i can get it shipped but it says it will be up to 24 days and i dont know if thats too long to wait. Theres a real limit on fish medicine here and most of it is herbal. Can i do even more often water changes even though Melafix only says once every 7 days? would i just need to add more medicine

On my bottle it reads:

"disease or wound treatment: dose daily for 7 days. after 7 days make a 25% water change. Continue treatment if necessary."

do i just continue to follow this with changes every 7 days and hope it clears up? im not sure what else to do

Back
Top Bottom