My grandmothers beta is rurning white!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
He is in a five gal tank.. Do you think I should get him a bigger one? Or is five gal ok... It's my grandmothers fish so she likes to keep it on this little table next to her chair. But I didn't know if that was big enough... Here was a pic 2 days before he got sick. Also I got him a filter, the heater, new gravel and I'm going to put 2 real plants in with him instead of those fake ones. He seems to like to swim through all the plants and lay on them at night.

Attachments

• image-692222296.jpg
    image-692222296.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 75
AHA!!! Ok. In plastic plants, bettas tend to get stuck. I have had it happen several times. I think the reason his fins look so torn up is he got stuck in a plant and wriggled himself out, but tore his fins. It's an easy fix. Clean water, and remove the plastic plants.

5 gallons is great. I was hoping it was a good sized tank. That way he's got room to play. I just got one today after my DG died and put him on my 10, but there's a few others in there with him. And since its on my mind, be careful how strong the filter is set. They aren't strong swimmers, so a strong current is hard on them. Also, it just happened to mine who is now having a panic attack, they can get sucked against an intake or if its a tube into the intake. He's never gonna trust me now. Lol.

Lol I'm sure he won't go near that again.. Im sure he knows its not ur fault lol. i bought this filter.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00176GKM8/ref=ya_aw_oh_pit
Because I read it has a low flow rate. I hope he doesn't get sucked onto it lol. And ok all plastic plants gone. I'll get a fern and hmm some sort of small plant... Is this a good heater this is the one I got for him because my other heaters are way too big
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B006JVQ67K/ref=ya_aw_oh_pit
Is there anything els he may need... Any plants in particular betas like?

Plants: water sprite.

I'm not sure on the heater. I've never used that one before. Watch the temp and make sure it's about 78-80 degrees. If so, it's perfectly fine.

Filter: looks fine to me. I would just keep it somewhat low so that your betta isn't overwhelmed by the current.

As for my betta, he hasn't returned to the intake section of the filter since then, but he keeps coming up to the front and staring at me like he's saying "I don't think you can take good care of me." I feel so bad now. No harm came to my boy. Just a heart attack for both of us.

Do you have a light for the tank? Usually plants need some type of light for the aquarium. 1-2 watts per gallon.... You might get away with using a lamp

Just saying because if plants die in the tank it can ruin your water chemistry and hurt ur fish....

Lol I would have freaked too !!! there fins are so long that its easy for them to get sucked in to things.. At least he did t get hurt though :) and ok I'll look for that plant and keep an eye on the heat... Thanks for all this help!!!

Well it's a 15 watt lamp, but I was going to replace that bulb with a florescent natural bulb

No problem. Yeah, you'll need a light for the plants. An energy saver bulb in a lamp will work. That's what I use.

He will live. Though he's not very happy with me. I tried to make up for it with bloodworms, but he ain't having it. Great start to our relationship.

Ok thanks lol... That means I can hold off on the Florescent bulb... I'm going to get it off amazon because the petco stores around here are soo expensive those bulbs are like 21$.... Amazon it was like 6$

Ok lol i don't like what I have because it sinks very fast, before he can get to them... So I was trying to find different ones..

Aha. I would go with flakes. They won't sink so fast and they won't swell up nearly as bad as pellets do. That's one reason bettas get bloated. The pellets swell up and when they're overfed, they swell up in the fish's belly.

No prob. Word of caution. Since he's never been in a tank with filtration, he will probably have a minor freak out attack. Wait a little while and he will be fine. All mine have done that.

Back
Top Bottom